Just pulled trigger on FiTech

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 408maro, Mar 6, 2016.

1. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

What I do not like about tanks inc is you got to install the pump and sender yourself and measure and all that.

I would like a true plug and play tank

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the spectra tank with the slosh bucket, all I did was wire up the pump and sender, plumbed the fuel lines, and strapped it in. The only modification that I did to the thing when I took it out of the box was to add a tube nut and flare the return line. They had a barbed end on the return line, which would have worked just fine.

3. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

I was looking on holley website and see the sell what looks similar to tanks inc called sniper. not sure if its a plug and play or has to be made to work like tanks inc... I'll have to look into a spectra

4. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

John
    I was concerned that the Spectra fuel pump would not be able to supply enough GPH for the FiTech 600 hp unit

What EFI are you using

5. John Wright

A factory TPI from an 89, it holds 43.5 psi steady with the regulator that is on the intake. I haven't dead headed it to see how much psi it will make, but gph is enough for my TPI. You can change the pump to a better one, if it won't keep up with your horsepower needs.

6. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/SP158A1H

Here's the Spectra pump
    Looked at the FiTech site for requirements for there system but only found what there fuel pumps put out.
    FiTech units put out 340 LPH
    Spectra units are 220 LPH

7. John Wright

In the FITech manual it says that the Command Center delivers 340LPH and will support 200 and up to 800HP. [edit] I should qualify that by saying it depends on the command center model number[/edit]It also says that it operates at 58psi. (I assume the FITech EFI needs the 58psi) I couldn't find the minimum GPH /LPH requirements....
    It just says if you use an alternative fuel delivery system to call the FITech support or it could void your warranty.

8. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

I looked at the Holley system too, but I had one major issue (besides the cost), they don't seem to provide any baffling. I'm baffled :crazy: about how their pump would deal with fuel starvation. Do you have to come up with your own baffling system or get an EFI tank? Since the Holley system is about the same price as the Tanks Inc. EFI tank (with pump and sending unit), I don't see any benefit in the Holley system other than it "might" be easier to install. Lots of extra $$$ for a name brand? So far I'm not impressed.
    This guy is doing the Tanks Inc. retrofit on a 78 Firebird, which has the same tank as mine. So far it looks pretty straightforward. He's planning on using the stock sending unit. I'm going to be following his progress to see how it works out. He has the pump installed, but is still working out some kinks. All in all it looks relatively simple compared to some of the things us crazy Camaro guys try to tackle. :D

9. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

I have the same question with the Spectra as with the Holley...what about baffling? Do they think it's not necessary? I have always understood that fuel starvation is the #1 killer of electric fuel pumps. Do you just drop this thing into the factory tank hole or does it require tank modification like all the rest? Doesn't appear to do me any good regardless. I don't see a similar product for my 78 on their site.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You mean the hydromat setup? If so the whole concept to that is baffling is no longer needed. I don't know how well it works.