Justin's '73

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Hotshot, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Hotshot

Hotshot Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Wow, first update in forever. Gotten a ton done, I've just forgotten to download the pictures. I've also been busy with graduating college, racing in Pinks All Out with the '84 Camaro, freelance jobs, a friend paying me to get his '75 F250 running again, and going through a couple of relationships with two high maintenance girls. Now I'm back to my first (expensive) mistress, the '73. :bowtie:

I've been doing a ton of body work every weekend. I got two quarter skins done, two trunk drop offs, rear wheel housings, and rear lower valence. I also had to repair some parts of the rear subframe. I opted to use panel bonding adhesive after doing a ton of research and admitting to myself that my welding skills (and my welder) just aren't up to par for cosmetic sheet metal welding. I saw a special on SPEED channel I think about this adhesive about how Lotus builds their cars with the stuff, which eased a lot of my worries.

Alright, here we go...

[​IMG]

After sanding down the paint (and bondo) I found all of the bad metal and discovered some old rust repairs in the lower quarter. I kept going until I found consistently good metal and cut it out.

I have to say, cutting into my own car is one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had. :eek:

[​IMG]

I found this... thing in the bondo from the last owner's shoddy rust repair.) It looked like a clump of duct tape, bondo, fiberglass patching, and aluminum foil. I don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad's helping out with a test fit...

[​IMG]

Although I used panel bonding adhesive to do the bulk of the work, I decided it was wise to do a little bit of welding in some places as extra insurance. WARNING: The heat from welding will cause the adhesive to fail! I learned this the hard way. :mad: After grinding down the old adhesive and reapplying it, I found this gel-spray that you can spray onto metal around the area you're welding that somehow keeps it cool. It worked, and I managed to weld and keep my adhesive bonded to the metal.

Continuing in next post...

2. Hotshot

Hotshot Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Although I did the passenger side and THEN the driver's side, you get a better view of the inside of the quarter with the driver's side, so we're gonna switch sides for pictures for a bit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheet metal screws are great when you can't hold a panel together with clamps, plus they are invaluable when trying to align a panel during a test fit and recreating that perfect alignment when actually gluing it.

And now we're fast forwarding a few weekends of bondo work... Hey, it's starting to look pretty good!

[​IMG]

And the first side...

[​IMG]

Quarters are more or less done, so now we move onto rear lower valence...

[​IMG]

Cue work montage... Hey wow, that starting to look pretty nice!

[​IMG]

And now a break from body work...

While everything was out of the car, I took the time to take a wire wheel to the entire bottom of the car from front to back... That was the most miserable job by FAR, especially in the heat of the day. After two weeks I got it clean and found some weak, rusty spots in the rear subframe. I cut those out and welded in some good steel. Then I grounded down the welds and filled in the holes with JB Weld, sanded it smooth and painted it over when I painted the rest of the undercarriage, and now I can't even find the repair. Woo! :D Rest of the undercarriage is a nice semigloss black now after being covered in POR 15.

[​IMG]

3. crome dome

crome dome Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Round rock Texas
    Looks like your doing great,keep it up.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Lookin good Justin. I'll bet your dad is already jealous.

5. Mike Busutil

Mike Busutil Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Yuma Arizona
    Hey how about an update???

6. 70moneypit

70moneypit Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2012
    North Texas
    Awesome project, man! It's great to see a young man like yourself enjoying these old classic cars. I wish i could get my own kids as fired up about them as you are. Keep up the great work, it will often be difficult but it's worth the rewards and the satisfaction knowing that you did it yourself.