Knockoff Knockoff Intake?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rustbucket350, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Summit usually keeps a close hold of their house brands. I suspect that it can always change too. If I had to suspect, I don't think they are Weiand, they are likely as you suspect Procomp or similar

FWIW, I went to Harbor Frieght the other day and bought a dial indicator base, brought it home...it was EXACTLY the same as the one I bought from Summit. Summit is not against overseas made products. Just like anyone if the quality is good the value is good. Never had a problem with a Summit Branded part.

2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

So ProComp changed their name eh? Odd that a company would change their name if its a quality company. I don't recall Holley changing their name...or Edelbrock, or ARP, or....

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Maybe an owner change who didn't want to be known as "Pro-Comp"? Or the name was trade-marked by someone else forcing a name change. I know I would likely change the name. Forums like these put their products through the mud not ever using them. MOST people would not even know they are the same company.

4. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

I had the Jegs "knockoff" of a performer RPM sitting next to the real deal and couldn't tell them apart from each other except for the ugly edelbrock logo on the real deal. I powdercoated it black anyway so the choice I made at the time was the jegs since there was no grinding needed to clean it up. It worked perfect, never leaked and it's still sitting here ready to go back to work when I tell it to.

5. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Yes, it probably was due to bad press. At the end of the day, junk is junk. You can put a "Made in USA" stamp on it and cover yourself by telling the customer to hog the ports out in the instructions, but that doesn't make it quality junk. In fact, I'm looking at a GM Performance polished aluminum water neck right here in my lap that says "Made in Taiwan". Why did I pay extra for that?

6. Rustbucket350

Looked up the part number for the water neck (141-500) to find out the GM one is a Proform part. GM obviously has no problem with offshore parts. This is getting off topic though. The intakes will be here later this week and I'll do a review.

7. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Nuff Said!

8. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

AMEN bro, wish guys would stay on topic

9. ddeennis

ddeennis Veteran Member

You will find the knock off intakes are down in power across the board, example eddy rpm air gap makes more power thru the curve then the knock off air gap, same goes with victor intakes and the counter part knock offs.

I'm selling my one and only knock off I bought, none of the threads was good in the intake ( yes it was new out of the box) pro comp air gap knock off for vortec heads, junk junk junk, for a few bucks more I could have gotten the real eddy rpm air gap which I'm sure would have had good threads plus I would have gotton more overall power.

I bought first to save a few bucks, then when I got it had issues with threads
    and found out ya they are junk and they can not produce the same power as the real design.

I'm not sold on the knock off crap, it's the original designer from here on out, name brand company's.

That's my take on them.

10. Rustbucket350

Can you post a picture of the ports on your knockoff?