KTM dirt bikes

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by parts_master1, Mar 6, 2014.

1. parts_master1

parts_master1 Veteran Member

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not no
    Anyone know anything about them? I just picked up an SX65 that seems to run good and has a powerful power band:innocent:

I was told by the seller that KTM is some sort of sought after bad ass!

I am thinking about selling and maybe trading up to something like an old XL125. something I can ride on the street and still on the dirt and feel comfortable. It's dark now but I will post some pics later tomorrow.

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

A couple years back I revived my old pass time for a couple of seasons riding dirt bikes. The inspiration was hearing about Hatfield and McCoy's up in West Virginia. I cranked up my bike I had sitting for YEARS and rode around the yard. I made me remember that dirtbikes are the most fun with a machine bang for the buck! I bought a newer bike my first 4 stroke dirt bike a Suzuki 400. I went riding with a group of real cool guys who organized trips up there to WV. Typical trip there was 25 of us staying in cabins rented on top of a mountain. The extent of the riding area up there is beyond belief! Some of the lead guys are far better riders than me. They are maybe younger like in their 20s and are tri athletes. They can ride a wheelie down the road shifting gears. Some of them must have good jobs too because they have brand new bikes all the time. THOSE guys often had KTMs. I don't know all the details but I do recall one guy had a 500+ cc KTM 2 stroke. He installed a trick clutch I think called Rocluse? that made the bike almost like an automatic trans. It was almost like cheating on a hill climb. Let me tell you have never seen hill climbs like the ones up there in West Virginia! From clearings where utility companies ran natural gas line on the surface straight up and over the mountain to shear mountainsides of exposed loose black coal. The KTMs are bad ass bikes for sure. West Virginia is dirt bike paradise! Check out Thumper something forum. I can't remember exact name Google search Thumper forum. It's kinda like NastyZ for dirtbikes. They can tell you all you want to learn about KTMs or what ever.

3. ripcurl329

ripcurl329 Veteran Member

The 65 class the KTM is way better then the KX65 due to the front forks. But the real 65 is the Cobra 65. My son races the 50 class and he is on a King Cobra 50. I have seen kids hit 65' table tops on them.

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

My brother had a 400 track bike, it was just freaking insane and hardly rideable. He had to put flywheel weights on it to try to keep it from going over backward so easy, and he isn't very little - over 200#.

5. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

I had a sx65 I picked up for a pit bike for campgrounds at the dunes and damm that lil thing suprised me how powerfull it was. Ended up being way more than needed for cruisin campgrounds