l83 LS swap in 81 Camaro?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Brett Gordon, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Brett Gordon

Brett Gordon New Member

Im looking to ls swap my 1981 z28 Camaro and the l83 5.3l is the most inexpensive one I can find,comes with everything directly pulled from the previous vehicle. My question is if this is possible or will it even fit. the only info I can find on these swaps are into other trucks. any info is appreciated thank you

p.s if anyone can tell me where to find an ls swap kit for this particular swap that'd be appreciated also

2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

It'll fit that's for sure. Possibly holley kit could be used.

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Brett, the architecture of that engine is the same as any LS engine. Swap out the oil pan, intake and accessories and then follow any documentation in this section on how others have done LS swaps and it will be fine

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Here’s what I did on mine and I really like the fit

Mounts and trans mount from brp hotrods, it’s overpriced but centers the engine well

The oil pan from mast motor sports but the Holley one works well too however less work with the mast since it comes assembled

I’m not sure on serpentine sets since I had the f body serpentine and it cleared