Last lawn Question.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SpeedAddict02, May 27, 2014.

Bagger or Sweeper

1. Triple Bagger

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Tow-behind Sweeper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I'll also mulch the leaves in the fall with my mower - it annihilates them...I've never raked a leaf in my life

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I just bought a new Craftsman mower, grass was almost a 1' tall in spots. Cut it at the highest & then at normal. Mulched it, not one clump, only time the bag will get used is in the fall for the leaves.

I'm hooked on the mulch as well.

3. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

I'm no bagger.
    I have been a mulcher on a rare occasion though, but not recently.
    I just let the clippings blow around out of the side. That's the way things ought to be.

4. cyberswap

cyberswap Veteran Member

mulch is the way to go for sure, i have gator blades and a chute block off door.

In my area i prefer to mow at the 4 inch range during the summer and 3.5 in the spring and fall for my customers.

My lawn is 4 inches all year round...absolutley pristine. Has to be as i do fert and weed control for a living...the mowing we do is just a lil ..well the little actually has turned into nearly 3,400 a month but it only takes 1 guy two days a week to get em done. I use the word only loosely though as i really get bogged down sometimes and have to get out and help him GRRRRR !!!

When it comes to a quality zero turn or riding mower... all i can say is I have had several and a like the scag the best so far...and the reason is the quality of the build and that it can mow up to 5 inches tall if desired.

5. cyberswap

cyberswap Veteran Member

Find a local small business guy ...using granular fert. typically small business guys will have a reg. tech doing your lawn and not a new guy each year like the national companys.

Yeah I recall the pic of your new digs , you have a decent sized lawn and pump spraying that sucker until you get it built up would be a pain in the ass. now, once you have the lawn nice and thick it isnt as bad because you wont be getting alot of weeds...doing a good fert program is easy on your own and takes little time...its the weed control thats the biaaatch for most homeowners.

thick lawn and an irrigation system to help maintain it. I havent used weed controls on my lawn stace in 5 years ( i dont like the smell of weed controls )

Invest in the irrigation system and the do a quality seed job and after a couple seasons ..your weed control issues will be a breeze.

6. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

No mulching here Joe. I mow close to 3 acres, I stay on top of it, so no major clippings build up

7. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Dont get standard gator blades. You want the G5 or G6 blades. Preferably the lighter G5 blades due to it not being a commercial grade machine. Less stress on the engine. But dont expect miracles with mulching. You will probably have to go over it a couple times to dissipate all the grass. I have run the G6 blades on my big commercial mower and I wasnt impressed with them. Some commercial guys love them but they just didnt cut as nice and crisp as a standard high lift blade does.

Here is the G6 blades next to the factory high lifts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  8. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How often do you mow Sal?

9. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered the G5 blades. See what happens.

10. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Hey Ace stay away from tru green. They are scam artists. You can treat the weeds yourself if you want. I can put together a program for you and if you follow it you should have a super nice lawn after a year or two if you want to do the work yourself. You will need a small tow behind boom sprayer, a broadcast push spreader. Other than that it is just the chemicals you need to buy at certain times of the year. Once you own the equipment and treat your lawn yourself for a year you will break even and from then on it will save you money by doing it yourself.