Last question regarding my lt1 swap and transmission

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by SPG, Oct 14, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Alright, I know I've been wishy-washy recently but a lot of money is going to be spent so I want to make sure I get this right.
    So I'm going to get an lt1 motor (5th gen....Gen V because that matters I guess) and throw it into my 1975 with this kit. I don't imagine I'd run into too many issues.... But here is the part that I've had trouble with... The transmission.
    So originally I was going to get the 8 speed 8l90e but that probably won't fit and others have claimed that will only work in a corvette.... But I want this ratchet shifter and that won't work anyways. So right now I'm looking at a 700r4, but with that being such and old transmission and it's not using a computer, would that have issues? If so could I use a 4l80e transmission with the shifter I want?
    What other options are available to me... And what things would I need to buy to make this work?

I'm going with a 4l75e, 4l80e had clarence issues and I didn't want to hack up the interior of my car. I verified that I can still use my shifter and not run into any problems.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Have you thought about using the shifter from the donor car for the 8 speed?

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I don't want to because I'm recreating bumblebee, I'm going to get a 4l75e so it doesn't have compatibility issues

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Lt motors in current corvettes and camaros are called 5th gen.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT1_engine
    Im going with the lt1 because of direct injection, I don't want an ls

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I've owned both and logged several 10K's of miles on them. What is so great about direct injection in your view?

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Generally has better fuel economy, emissions, and performance.

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

not really better mpg in my experience - pretty much equivalent in real world driving in Camaro's and Corvette's I've owned. I would take a LS3 with a mild cam over a stock LT1 personally. It's the same size motor. The heads are pretty similar - maybe slightly better on the LT1. The LT1 makes 20 more hp, you would make more than that with a decent cam in a LS3.
    The $6K you save will buy a whole lot of gas.

Just my humble opinion.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I appreciate the input, but I'm sticking with the lt1 and all challenges that come with it. Will make my build more unique.... Especially since most of it is very uncreative right now

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I also don't think the LT1 engine is worth the swap over a LS just from an aftermarket supportability level. I looked at the LT engines, specifically the LT4 for the 650hp SC for $14K. It will cost more than $14K to get an LS7 to that power level or to supercharge a LS3 (which doesn't have forged internals). Looking at it...The biggest obstacle is the front accessories...What are you using for those?
    Many people are using LT1s and more so LT4, so its not rare or unique...If you're up to make it work, more power to you. The LS will just be easier with off the shelf parts.

GOOD LORD! That swap kit is $2500!!

As for a transmission, I would try to adapt the factory 6th gen camaro auto or go T56. T56 will be by far the easiest IMHO. I would avoid any prehistoric transmission (TH350/400/700R4 etc). You kind of ruin the benefits of a modern engine by using a stone age transmission.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018