Late model GTO seat install on second gen!!!

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by spav350, Aug 3, 2009.

1. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I was talking about the fronts. What I meant was to shorten the back of the seat ( backrest) the GTO that I saw looked great. I talked to the guy and asked how he did it and he said they removed the height from the center of the backrest to be able to keep the power tilt forward control on the seat,but they did remove the headrest so I am not sure if the headrest would still be usable if you shortened the backrest. I am not trying to change your project,just sharing what I have seen that looked pretty cool.

2. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh ok... you're not going to change my project man. Don't worry about that. ;) I just didn't know what you were refering to. Do you have any pics of what that guy did?

3. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Sorry I thought I did , but I can't locate them. I do know Paul Atkins Interiors did the interior in the car though not sure if they would have pics.
    Tim

4. spav350

Well today I removed the seat back covers to have a Chevy emblem stitched in instead of the GTO. The GTO is being removed first of course. Here are a few photos of how to remove the backs. A local shop is doing both seat back covers for $30. SUPER DEAL!!!

First remove the seat back cover. There are two clips located at the bottom of the backrest. Use a screwdriver to release the locks and pull away. Then you have to remove screws for the lumbar adjuster and the seat back tilt housing. They are 2 philips head screws. Remove the lumbar adjuster by pulling away from the seat back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the next photo, the lever itselt has a detent in it. You have to move the foam a little to be able to see a retainer up inside the backrest. You just have to pinch the retainer and pull on the lever to remove it. The plastic handle doesn't come off by itself. The whole arm comes out as one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly once you work your way to the top of the seat back pealing the cover off, you'll be left with the headrests. There are two locks that hold the headrest in. One you can push with your finger, the other you need to use an awl or pick to depress the lock. Once both are depressed just lift the piece out. Finally there is the actual housings that the headrests slips into. If you push the foam down far enough on the outsides, you'll find a lock to release. Depress the lock and remove the pieces. You should have the cover off with no problem. The only problem you'll have is the tilt lever. See the last photo for the headrest housings.

[​IMG]

5. spav350

Oh yeah. Here are some leg room pics of the seats installed with the front seat all the way back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is in my driving position. I'm 6' and have long legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dangerous Drew

Dangerous Drew Veteran Member

$30? You're kidding! Screaming deal. Where do I send mine? :)

Thanks for being a step ahead of me and posting all the how-to stuff. :)

7. spav350

No problem. I'll get all his contact information for you so if you want to get them done. He's a mutual friend of mine. He owns a t-shirt/koozie/caps business. I want to see how it comes out before I recommend him though.

8. YoungCamaro

YoungCamaro Veteran Member

this thread is awesome. I see you got the seats for 400 thats not bad at all. Where did you get them??

9. spav350

From a friend that used a wrecked GTO for the drivetrain for his 81 T.A. He wasn't going to use the seats, so he sold them to me.:)

10. spav350

Here are the seats with the chevy bowtie in them as promised. Better late then never I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]