Lawn mowers

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Aug 11, 2019.

1. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had my dad's 2004 Lawn Boy for 12 years now, and it has held up well. I recently tore it apart since it had a drive problem. I tore the gearbox apart (rear wheel drive) and for about $30 replaced worn parts. Easy mower to work on and all parts are reasonable. Keep spare drive belt and control cables in shed. I bought another Lawn boy a few years back since I mow my disabled vets lawn and figured I would retire dads to that job (weedy lawn, lots of pine cones, tree branch pieces) and use the new one on my lawn. New one has single lever height adjustable wheels, bad design, the bar that connects rear wheels hits every sprinkler head I had and cracks the risers. So that one does my neighbors lawn. Wrote lawn boy and told them how crappy that design was, mediocre response. I knew Toro and Lawn Boy are same company and looked at some Toros for future reference and found exact same drive system. But their personal pace mower is 4 wheel adjustable height and rear wheel drive (which I like). So it would be as reliable and as cheap to fix as a Lawn Boy, so when neighbor needed mower I recommended that one, stating "you ever have any problems with it, I know them inside and out and can help you out". He loves it. SO that is my recommendation for self propelled rear wheel drive runs $369 at Home Depot. I'm getting older and thinking I may get a riding mower someday. Looked at the snapper old school rear engine one, and even though it is $1800 I think that will be my choice. I've seen some really old ones out there that are still going strong. And I believe you can stand it up on it's rear framework to save storage space. I also have a front wheel drive Toro that my neighbor tossed out and for $70 carb/fuel tank/control cable, it runs great and is doing duty at my buddy's house down the street. He is Navy and renting and had just a push mower so let him borrow that one for the 3 years he is going to be stationed here. Just not crazy about front wheel drive, when making a u-tun I find it easier to still have the mower propelling itself as I lift the front to make the turn, and soft soil, thin grass conditions in some lawns the front wheel drive does not work well. Anyone have this Snapper? If so how is it holding up?

Snapper: https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...rs/classic-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower.html

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

If it only takes about an hour with an old push mower, why have a lawn tractor that takes up so much space in the garage?

Maybe upgrade to a nice used, somewhat larger, self propelled walk behind and enjoy a little exercise once a week.

Back in 1997, when I was cutting about 2 acres and had just been diagnosed with diabetes, I sold my old JD lawn tractor and bought a 36" Snapper commercial walk behind mower. Took the same time to cut the grass with the walk behind as it did with the tractor. The Snapper turned on a dime, the JD had forever steering.

It was the grass growers dream summer - seemed like it rained every other day and I needed to cut the grass about every 3 days...

I lost about 75 pounds that summer and really got my diabetes under control through diet and exercise.

Back in February, I finally started using insulin for the first time. But I'm 65 now and not quite as active as I used to be...

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Has more uses than just mowing, I use it around the yard to pull my yard trailer around etc. especially in the fall it makes life much easier with the leaves.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I hate cutting grass. Like really hate it. I havent owned a grass cutting device other than a weedeater in 10 years. I will gladly pay the $35 a week for lawncare. My shed is a wet mess, so any tractor or whatever would be in my garage pissing me and my cars off. I moved in april, my previous lawn guy quit the business, so i was having trouble getting someone to come out. My new neighbor was gracious enough to cut it once since i was in a bind and i was “starting to scare the neighbors” with how long my lawn was getting. So while he was on his zero turn, i fired up my weedeater to trim. After about 10 mins of trimming, any thoughts of me buying a mower and doing it myself were long gone. I have a pretty small property, but the lawn is broke up into 3 seperate sections, so lots of trimming. Too much for my liking.

5. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

Look into kabota. Ive had a T-1670 since new (2005). Nothing has ever broke. All belts are original. Use it for grass, pulling leaves, and plowing snow. The hydrostatic trans still works great.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Found one. 1990 John Deere STX30. Been sitting for at least the last 5 years. Perfect size for what I need. A couple cans of degreaser and an hour with the pressure washer it’s looking halfway respectable again. Before I got too much further than cleaning it I topped off the oil and put my battery in it and I’ll be a monkey’s uncle if the thing didn’t fire right up even on that five or six-year-old gasI did have to tap on the carb a little bit to get it to run more than idle. I’ll add some sea foam to the tank and top off with fresh gas and run it dry and refill with fresh but I think we’ve got a winner!

68B9820E-3766-4216-A691-65A8B4E9B96F.jpeg C2951044-B3C2-43A0-80FD-15FC9532306A.jpeg 7C2CDB04-CD47-4D34-B30C-C5C03046B122.jpeg

7. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

Looks good! Ready for a fresh wax and tire dressing lol. Just goofing around I found a ton of online support for replacement parts. :cool:

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

It is kind of insane how much there is for these old Deere’s. Even on jd’s website I found the parts breakdown, including the part numbers. It’s already came in handy. I’ll get to waxing it next weekend. Will have to wash it again first....already put into service mowing; it does a real nice even job too.