Leaf-Spring Misalignment

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 71smalbloc, Sep 5, 2019.

1. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

I went ahead and removed the old slapper bars and replaced the leaf springs on my 71 today. Biggest issue I'm having is that the center pin/bolt on the passenger leaf spring does not line up with the center hole in the anchor plate. This of course doesn't allow the anchor plate to sit flush with the axle. I attached a photo of the driver side which lines up decently enough to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The springs, anchor plate, and hardware are all brand new and center hole in the anchor plate appears to be correctly centered. The car does have a set of longer shackles which I'm thinking may be contributing to the issue. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Loosen it all up and adjust it (both sides). You don’t need long shackles in the back.

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

If you think its the shackles, loosen the bolts and clamp down the plates on center, then tighten the shackle bolts.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

BFH.....alignment tool...shackles should have minimal affect there. More likely the top pad allowed the "bolt" to squish into to wrong location..