Leather Dye

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Da_Raabi, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

There is a set of leather Corvette seats for sale online, and they have everything I would like in a seat except one thing: they are blue. I know new covers for these seats are VERY expensive (over $1000 easy) so is there a way to effectively dye the seats black to match my interior? I have never dealt with dying leather before, although I have seen that SEM has products that will do this kind of thing. Any suggestions or results from those who have done it? Thanks a lot!

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Look into something called Ritz dye. You can buy it at WallyWorld and if you removed the seat covers, you may be able to dye them black. Im guessing the dye will rub off though since this isnt as durable as the factory method used to dye leather.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMHO , no.......you're not "Dyeing" anything.

For something to be "Dyed" it has to ABSORB INTO the material.
    Not just coat it like a spray paint.......which is essentially what most of these products are....
    In the end, it just cracks and you can see the color under it coming through.

Buddy tried to SEM paint his 2001 Corvette's red seats back to black.
    Personally I think it looks like crap as little cracks you can see the red......
    Something that flexes alot isn't ideal IMO.......seats flex alot.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. jhead55

jhead55 Veteran Member

I dyed the seats on my 96 Mustang Cobra and they came out great. Leather seats actually are not really dyed. They have a topcoat of color much like a flexible paint. I stripped off the old color with lacquer thinner and scotch brite pads and then used the products and instructions on this website. I used a touch-up gun and sprayed a primer, color and clear and they look like new. Here is the website. www.docstotalpackage.net

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

i just want to see what corvette seats look like in a camaro . corvette had some funky seats that sat really low in the body

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

The seats I'm looking at are the 2012- Z06 seats. Alternatively theres the 2011- CTS-V Recaro seats but they are stupid expensive. I like the inlaid headrest look. The price on the seats I was looking at is starting to get out of my price range so this might all be a moot point...