Leave it alone ?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by PalmbchZ28, Feb 27, 2017.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I recently purchased a 1980 Z28 4 speed. It is a low mileage (21,600) car that has been taken care of and garage kept for many years. I have all the paperwork including the build sheet and maintenance records and all manuals. Even though it has been treated very well ...it really needs " freshened up " a little. Other than checking the fluids etc...I have not really " got into the car ". It appears to be 99% ? original. Obviously 37 years has had it way with a few things like weather stripping etc...but the car drives fantastic...like new. The motor and trans has no oil leaks and everything under the hood looks great (except air induction hood seal is split). The paint (looks great from 15 feet LOL) and interior has a few challenges but still very presentable for 37 years old. The A/C, clock, radio and windshield wiper pump is all that does not work.

So the question is should I leave it alone or go ahead and "update" the horsepower, repaint, and change out the interior to leather ? And are the purists going to roast me for wanting to change the seats to leather ? I have already had a few local comments to leave it alone !! But I purchased this car to drive and have fun with...on the other hand I really kind of felt guilty putting miles on it this weekend. So please let me have your opinions !!
    Keith

1980 Z.jpg

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice find. It's your car. Do what you want to do with it. The purists will say leave it original but they aren't the ones driving it.

3. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

I would leave it. These cars and especially the late 2nd gens are so rare unmolested. That is a beautiful, straight, original car and once you mod it, its gone forever. I went thru the same dilemma a few months ago. Bought a similar condition Thunderbird 50th anniv that was immaculate and un touched. Bought it with the idea of dropping it an inch and putting it on 18s but couldn't bring myself to do it after I found that they have a cult following and not very common so I sold it to someone that could appreciate it for what it was.
    I know it's tough to resist the mod bug but if you want to mod/update something I would buy something else and leave your original, rare gem alone, or maybe just "invisible updates" or repair the non working items
    Just my 2c
    (I know you re looking at my sig and thinking "hypocrite" but mine was far from orig when I bought it)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I would leave it alone and just fix the few things that don't work. If you change the interior to leather, you will soon find that cloth is far more comfortable in cold and heat than leather...... and more durable in the long haul. Changing to leather isn't an upgrade.

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

That is a very nice looking car. Repair, replace what is needed. Change all fluids. Buff the paint and drive it. I always say these cars were ment to be driven.

6. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

I would love to see the number ls but I would bet that the 80 and 81 were much lower production than the 78 and 79...

7. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Agree 100% with posts # 3,4 and 5 ^^^

8. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with the leave it alone crowd. It looks really nice given it's age. I'd fix what's broken and just enjoy it.
    Congrats on the find!

9. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Chock me up for another leave it alone. I've always admired original looking cars.

10. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

It's your car to do with what you wish. However, they're only original once and it does seem to me to be a bit of a shame to modify that one. Personally, I'd sell it to someone who want's a low mileage original and buy one that's either closer to what I want or is more of a project to begin with.