Let's hear your best 406 for the street combos.....

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 70 gsconvt, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Hi, I think that instead of going ls-style retro in my car, I'm seriously considering just building a sbc 400 that I have. It's a 509 block engine.

Here's what I was thinking. Rebuilt bottom end with splayed 4-bolt caps, forged crank, pistons and h-beam rods. Was looking at fast burn aluminum heads and a compression ratio around 10.25 to 10.5 to 1, cam somewhere in the 230-240 duration and lift in the mid-500's on a 113-114 centerline, Edelbrock air gap intake, Holley 850HP carb, headers with x-pipe exhaust.

I was going to replace my 3.73 stock rearend with a 3.08 disc posi out of a trans-am and keep my factory 4-speed. I like cruising down the highway. And I want the car to break into the high 11's. Can't have any of those ricer boys put a beat down on me. So I'm figuring I'll need about 500hp at the crank.

So I'm looking to hear from anyone that's already done an engine similar to what I'm looking to do and take the guess work out of it for me. Thanks

2. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

subscribed to thread...I'd sure like to see some proven combos on a 406 also.

I've got a good start on one but just a short block...

2 bolt 400 .030 over
    6.0 inch h beam rods
    eagle crank
    forged dome pistons (with 64cc head they should be over 13.0-1)

3. caribbean camaro

caribbean camaro Veteran Member

I have a 406ci built but not yet fired

stock block, crank and rods with forged flattops - WP Sportsman II heads (61cc milled) - victor jr. intake -
    crower compu pro solid 00355 - 244*/250*@.050
    .503" IN/ .518" EX - 105* LSA

4. 70 gsconvt

Kik start - sounds like quite an engine. But 13 to 1 is way too high for me for compression.

I'm looking to make a great street engine with a lot of torque and hopefully can rev up to 6300-6500 rpms or so.

Caribbean Camaro - sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking to do.

5. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

My first 408 was very streetable, in fact it was my daily driver during the summer.
    GM iron Bowtie heads, copious hours of portwork, easily duplicated by buying a set of AFR 195's.
    Forged flat top pistons, zero deck, 11.4:1
    Stock 350 rods, later replaced by Scat I beams (wasn't necessary)
    Comp 259/266 @ .050 solid flat tappet cam, roller rockers
    Internal balanced GM cast crank
    Normal machine work on a GM 4 bolt block
    This combo ran with reduced timing on premium on the street, and was fed 50/50 with race gas for the track. The first time out it ran 12.1 @ 112 at my local 2200' elevation track with 3.42 gears/5xxx stall. I later whittled the times down to 10.96 @ 121.6 at a sea level track.

Take it from a guy who owns a machine shop and has done one for himself (current 406) installing splayed caps in a 2 bolt block, don't waste your time. Since you're starting from scratch, buy a Dart SHP block. It's a MUCH more durable piece, will cost you nearly the same as all the fluff and buff BS to get a factory 400 block to "close" to the strength of a Dart block.
    Buy a Scat forged crank and Scat 6" I beam rods with the 7/16 capscrews, and top it off with Mahle dished forged pistons. (Wiseco/SRP would work as well, but Mahle's use a thin metric ring pack that eliminate needing oil ring spacer rails, plus they weight NOTHING)
    Go with the AFR 195's, they will easily eclipse your HP target, and they have the correct springs for a hyd roller cam.
    Go for a hyd roller cam, you're specs will be fine, although I prefer a tighter lobe separation.
    Vic Jr intake with port matching and minor plenum blending
    Quality machine work.

Should be an easy 550 HP piece that will be anvil reliable and need nothing more than a quality synthetic oil change at regular intervals.

6. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Phil are you just wanting a street only engine? If so it can be done for low buck.
    Here is what I did, no plans on track time, just wanted a reliable engine with plenty of power. Under $3k in the build. Built it for making all of the power under 6000 rpm's to save money. Nothing needed to be clearanced, just normal machine work.

Stock nodular iron crank cut .010"/.010"
    resized stock rods with ARP bolts
    Speed Pro H601P pistons (These are dished)
    4 bolt block bored .030" and decked to give .010" piston height
    ARP main studs
    AFR 195 heads with 65cc chamber
    Lunati 60103 cam
    Performer intake
    Quadrajet carb (reworked a bit ;))
    Scorpion 1.5 roller rockers
    10.25:1 compression ratio with a quench area of about .045".
    Runs on pump premium and with 50° of total timing there is no detonation.
    3.73 rear gear, TKO 600
    The most expensive part of the whole engine was the heads, but they sure help make the power.
    The engine is still pulling hard at 6000 rpm's but I try to keep it under 5500 most of the time. Good power from off idle to 6000 rpm. Computer estimates are around 450 hp and close to 500 lb ft of torque with a fairly flat curve. A lot of fun to drive, since it is in a grandma Nova it has surprised quite a few people.
    The amazing thing is I can get over 19 mpg cruising on the freeway with the AC on and drive it anywhere. The only problem so far is the short life of rear tires :confused:

7. 70 gsconvt

Thanks guys. These are the builds I'm looking to hear about.

I've been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like the AFR 195's are the way to go for me. Guess I'd better start looking around for a pair.

8. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

I had a 400 SB with stock rotating assembly, double hump heads, 280 magnum cam, TM-1 intake. It was cheap, pulled hard to 6K, was my daily driver and ran forever. In my mind, that's was a true street engine!

9. crystalbluevib

crystalbluevib Veteran Member

My street car
    406 509 block
    Dart Pro 1 heads, 215/64 2.05/1.60
    comp Hr 314 252/252 600 lift
    holley dom intake 300-25
    950 Holley stage 5 kit
    eagle forged crank
    eagle 6" forged h-beam rods
    srp forged pistons mil-18770
    milidon oil pump
    milidon windage tray
    stainless roller rockers 1.5
    150 shot nitrous
    valley powder coated
    In 72 camaro
    4500 stall
    turbo 400
    fab 9 370 gear
    soon to go into 85 el camino, grocery getter.

10. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Ha Ha...grocery getter! Sounds more like drive thru to me LOL. What compression does that work out to be ?