Let's talk fuel pumps

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by muscl car, Jan 4, 2019.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Next on the upgrade list and able to support the new 600 plus hp 406sbc is a fuel pump . Currently running on my old motor is Carter "strip " mech fuel pump set at 7psi

Now I'm looking at either a new in tank fuel pump set up or just a good race style electric fuel pump mounted to the chassis or body . The Camaro does have NHRA Certified aluminum Trunk bulkhead so I could mount a fuel cell in the trunk

1980RS likes this.
  2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

If more race than street, fuel cell with a quality electric pump gets my vote. I have had very good luck with Fuelab and Aeromotive, running race fuel and no ethanol. I did run E10 pump gas with an Aeromotive pump a few times without issue. Holley has come out with some new pumps, but I don't have any experience with them. On paper, they look good, I just have no reason to change since I have a pump capable of supporting the power I will make.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its all personal preference .You can run an electric fuel or a high volume mechanical pump, I would run half inch line with either type.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Might be overkill, but for straight line performance without fuel starvation you could also leave the mech pump, connect it to a small 0.5L or so tank up front fed by an electrical pump in the back. This way both pumps don't have to be large and work hard and won't run out of fuel as well. Buddy has a similar setup op a 401 with a 177 blower on top.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Some race pumps don't like the street. I think Aeromotive is good for a mix of street/strip. I have had an A 1000 for years. Never a problem. Kid runs two of them with E-85, and they've been great. They have a new pump out, but don't have any reason (yet) to research. Run a relay with an electric pump. Makes a difference.

6. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

In tank electric, with a return regulator.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Been running the same Mallory comp 140 since 1992 on the Camaro and a 8 gal fuel cell, also have one for the NOS stand alone.

8. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

^^^^ I've been running the Mallory 140 myself since 2005. It is a bit noisy but I haven't had any problems.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like I'm going with a 12 gal Jaz racing fuel cell and Magnafuel 275 fuel pump

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is really for your Tacoma isn't it. C'mon admit it. lol