LM7 swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by BigBlock73, Jan 14, 2020.

1. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

I just did this swap 2006 LM7 5.3, very easy can be done with aftermarket parts or Chevy parts lots of ways to do it.
    Depends on your budget or what look are you going for and horsepower goals.

Motor mounts: I reused my factory towers for SBC used LS plates and put the Energy Suspension poly brackets on it, lots of companies make brackets now though, I bought this stuff a couple years ago.

Front Drive Accesories: ICT Billet, be sure to check part #s very specific and easy to miss, speaking from experience

Fuel : With boost in the future, no cheap LS1 fuel pump/reg/filter unit was used, but could be for N/A setup!
    Aeromotive Gen 2 Stealth tank fuel tank w/ 340lph intank pump
    Aeromotive Fuel regulator w/ boost reference
    Aeromotive Premium Heavy Duty Fuel Pump Wiring Kit
    36lb Bosch Fuel Injectors used on 3.8 supercharged buicks etc. cheap and make 42lb's on 58psi, when I replace i will pick an option from holley drop down menu
    Try to get filters regulators all the same size so you dont need many adapters

ECU/EFI Control: This has a ton of options everyone makes a harness, or make your own. I went with Holley Terminator X Max to control my DBW throttle body and in the future electronic transmission if i want one. Easy plug and play and the ability to tune your own car any time you make a change which will save you some money.
    (Download the software before you buy to get an idea of what parts you want to purchase, this will make alot of decisions alot easier as you can select them from a drop down instead of plugging in data)

Transmission: TH350 , used a simple hub adapter spacer for $15 fit perfect and reused driveshaft! My FTI Torque Converter had SBC/BB/LS bolt patterns so very easy there.

Engine: Tick blueprinted/ported Oil Pump, LS7 Lifters/Trays,Stage 2 camshaft, springs , chromoly pushrods, Fbody Oil Pan, LS6 Intake, new gaskets/orings on everything

Gauges: I had autometer , so i just bought the autometer LS adapter kit

PCV System: I used the ls6 valley cover it has PCV built in

Coils: Reused Truck Coils

Cooling: Reused radiator, Electronic Fan, trans cooler, Plugged trans lines on rad and used hole above trans lines for steam port.

Hope this helps , every part of the swap is now sold by multiple vendors just what path you want to take young padawan.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bazooka
    The engine looks great.
    Seems almost ready to start it.

Been doing a lot of searching and reading.
    Not finding any info on reusing the Muncie other than some parts.
    Did your trans bolt up to the LS block without any modifications?
    Only seeing the bolt hole on the top of the of the LS bell housing being different from the 621 I have.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

On the LS there is a bolt hole at the 12 oclock position and lacking one at the 2 oclock I believe. I personally wouldn’t go cheap here. Get the proper LS to Muncie bellhousing. I posted the link to it.

4. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Summit might help. Short and sweet.

5. BigBlock73

rchydzik

That's a great video.
    Answers a lot of my questions.
    Thanks

6. badazz81z28

Why do you think GM kept the bell-housing pattern the same, but changed 1 bolt location? Eliminated one...and added one. I think its prudent to use a proper bell-housing that uses the 12 o'clock bolt hole. Just IMHO. I'm just OCD like that.

7. BigBlock73

I appreciate the OCD as I suffer from it as well.
    The car will be a weekend cruiser.
    I need to do this as frugally as possible and saving the $300 is worth the risk.
    I've found multiple people reusing the old bell housing online without issue,Summit even recommends it.
    I'll check the possibility of adding that hole,to my current bell, when that time comes.

I appreciate all the info

8. badazz81z28

One piece advice I can give, anything you try to save money on or defer later, make those parts the easy ones. If you ever decide to get the right bell housing etc later, it will be a PIA versus say saving on a intake or a pair of headers.

9. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

Yes I have no idea about the Muncie.
    Mine was a th350 all the holes lined up except the one that held the dipstick bracket it was non existent.
    I wound up going with a flexible dipstick and that guy was pricey but worth it for simplicity, and no leaks, also added a polyurethane mount, and trans cooler.

A big chunk of my budget went into tranny it was original but beyond repair, sadly had to get a new one.

10. BigBlock73

bazooka
    I just purchased a LS6 intake that came with injectors,fuel rail,throttle body and bolts.
    You used the LS6 valley cover,did you have to modify the engine block for it to fit?
    Did you do a complete swap of the front accessories?
    Here's a Holley water pump housing that will fit the truck accessories.
    https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/water_pumps/water_pump/parts/22-101