Loaded and ready to go

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by mr. jones, Sep 14, 2018.

1. mr. jones

mr. jones Member

Yes sir, I've contacted pro systems build a carb more suited for higher RPM I just wanted to make one change at a time to document the difference. The 650 is really fun to drive on the street, the throttle response is instant and very snappy. I agree, I think there is more in the car, my goal is 12.20s at this elevation

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I congratulate you on the 1 change at a time.
    Friend was running a 600 edelbrock and I told him he needed to try the 750 and he jetted and messed with that 600 until it was absolutely perfect.
    357" with Edelbrock E street heads and XE268H flat tappet he told me 6000 rpm and it was about finished.
    I told him his carb was too small.
    He finally got the 750 edelbrock and said he had to learn how do drive all over again.. said the 750 is very touchy and likes to easily blow the tires off and he hit 6500 rpm before he knew it and banging the rev limiter.

He turned up the rev limiter and said he was really expecting the 750 to have less response.
    He also stated it was out of the box no jetting just idle settings.
    He is happy and can't wait to get it to the track.

I had small holleys and the response was awesome and I had Q jets that had tons of top end and always wanted the best of both worlds.
    One day in the early 90's my uncle came down from Oregon and had this 750 AFB on his 340 Barracuda said he wished he had got the 625 AFB.
    These were the 9000 series and I always wanted to try one.
    So I told him I will buy you a new 625 from super shops and you give me the 750.
    Best swap I ever made.
    Love those things.
    Well not the best swap that would be a 9" ford rearend with some good gears :)

3. mr. jones

mr. jones Member

It's been a while since I have updated but after burning up my last transmission, getting a new one plus having my converter cut and cleaned I finally made it back to the track along with a new pro systems built 750cfm carb and ran a new personal best. 12.16@111

Attached Files:

dave@ztech and Peck like this.
  4. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

Congrats you made your goal time! What happened with the transmission?

5. mr. jones

mr. jones Member

I lost the seal on the speedometer drive gear and lost fluid out on a late night run, ended up burning up the pump.

6. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

That is an unfortunate turn of events, did you change anything on the tranny rebuild?

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

The last late night run I did a guy flipped his Camaro and it completely disintegrated. I'm talking bad. He had a full cage was strapped in and had a helmet on. Not something you typically see on the streets and he walked away. Without the cage he probably would have been a statistic.

8. mr. jones

mr. jones Member

No the transmission was exactly the same as before just a fresh build. Only changes I made were the looser converter and bigger carb. I've thought about adding a cage and will eventually, just have not as of yet