Looking at a Blueprint Crate motor?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 81 Sport Coupe, May 19, 2015.

1. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

I just bought an 85 corvette to drive around in while I fix my camaro the right way. So I got the 85 vette for a good price, has the l98 2 bolt main motor. drove it for 400 miles. did the oil change in it twice and it just started making lifter noise so my mechanic put a lucas additive in it but I don't really like putting additives in my engines. now it's knocking because it has a really loud clattering noise from the bottom end and the oil has some silver in it.
    so because I can't bring myself to part with the car I was looking at this crate motor. I dont like the fact it has a flat tappet lifters because I hear bad things about them. also my budjet it 3,000 max for a crate and would like a 350 with at least 350hp. it has to run on the tpi setup as well because I guess the transmission it tuned to shift with the computer.

heres the one I was looking at- http://paceperformance.com/i-839634...hp-long-block-crate-engine-1pc-rear-seal.html

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You are in some luck... the 1985 Corvette was the last full production year with a conventional Small Block. The TPI fits standard pattern heads, and the rear main is a conventional 2-piece

You could get away with one of these for ~ $2200
    https://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/12499529

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If it's a put-put car, I would look on CL for a good running puller. I wouldn't spend big money on a crate 350. If this wasn't a FI engine, I would recommend the 400hp Yearone Vortec 350

4. Warhorse

Warhorse Member

I've got an older 355 Blueprint motor with the flat tappet cam. So far I've put about 25,000 miles on the thing. I use an oil for flat tappets and have only had to do one valve adjustment at about 24,000 miles. Maintenance free other than the adjustment. Just start it and it runs out smooth and easy.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

If you get much away from the basic stock 350 in the early TPI you'll need some serious retuning of the computer, bigger injectors, and all that. Jegs had a sale on new longblocks, around $1500 shipped free. Simple install and should run fine. As posted above, the 85 was a basic early small block.

6. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

I like blueprint engines.