Looking for my old 70-1/2 Z28 RS

Discussion in 'Camaros Wanted' started by BillyJack, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

^^^what COPO said^^^
    It's doable. My buddy found his 1970 Chevelle SS 396 that he bought new when he returned home to Iowa from Vietnam. It was located in North Georgia. Made contact with owner and we took a road trip. You should have seen the look in his eyes when he got back behind the wheel. He owned it for 5 years. Dated, got married and used it for daily transportation until he sold it to a kid for $1500.
    It's still in great shape with a few changes over the years. 454 in place of 396 - Fathom Blue with black stripes instead of Astro Blue with stripe delete.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I have tried the DMV here. They won't do it. They said something about since 9/11 they are not allowed to interagency share info? The police could do it but it is Illegal unless it is directly related to an investigation initiated by the individual cop. Believe me I asked the cops when they came to verify my VIN. My Dad worked as a Dispatcher for the local PD where I lived in Pa. He did access the data for me when I was looking at a Vehicle but he said it was not a proper thing to do. Just saying some will do it and not have any problems.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Google Rebecca Schaeffer and you will see why tracking down a car through VIN info has gotten harder. She was an actress that was murdered by a stalker that found her through a license-VIN search. If an officer if found to be doing searches frivolously then it may not be very good career-wise.

Good luck with your search. I have read discussion's where certain PI's that can access this info (obviously for a fee).

4. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Happy New Year! Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a computer problem when changing my password and MadMike had to help me get it fixed then the holiday scramble. Thank you for the link. I tried it and found one just a couple numbers off but not mine. Awesome source though!

5. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a computer problem when changing my password and MadMike had to help me get it fixed then the holiday scramble.

Me too. I learned my lesson with that one. So I still have my 1977 Chevy SCSB K10 pick up I bought in 1976. turned the odometer over 3 times before I parked it 22 years ago. put a new battery in it a couple months ago and it started right up surprisingly. Ran like crap because of the old gas but I'm currently redoing the whole fuel system. Excited for this and getting it back on the street but wish I was working on my old Z.

6. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Happy New Year! Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a computer problem when changing my password and MadMike had to help me get it fixed then the holiday scramble came. I sold it in Las Vegas to a guy in his early 20s (So he's an old coot like me now)named Mike Owens. You can guess I have found that there are 1,000s of Mike Owens. The search continues!!!! Thank you for your kind words.

7. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Actually yes. She was 14 in that picture. I married her when she was 18. Way too young for both of us. Lasted 10 great years and we are still best friends.

8. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

YAH I married her when she turned 18, had 10 great years but we grew apart (Mutual) and are still best of friends today.

9. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Thought about that but as bad as I want it I am an Ex-policeman prior to being a general contractor (now retired) I wouldn't put my old partners or acquaintances on the spot with this because of the inquiry tracking logs these days should something be hinky with who ever owns it today if it still exist.

10. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Actually was given that tag in my younger more fit days but mostly because my birth name is William John and Bill is an alt. for William and Jack is the alt. for John.