Lost a couple lobes after oil change.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Craig69SSRS, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Craig69SSRS

Craig69SSRS New Member

BBC has been running fine for over a year using Shell Rotella oil and standard Wix filters. I was going on a 500 mile round trip last weekend so I decided to change the oil. Typically I have oil and filters here that is ordered from Summit but let my supply run out. While oil was draining, I drove over to Advance Auto to pick up oil and filter. They only had one 5 gallon jug of Shell ( I need 7 qts because of the pan)and no qt's so I used Royal Purple 15-40 which I thought was a good substitute. No Wix filters so I substituted it for a K&N. 100 miles into the trip I lost a lobe on number 4 cylinder and partial on number 7. I'm confused on what could have caused this. Never a problem out of this engine. The non roller cam is part of the Edelbrock top end kit that has been on this car for well over a year and well into 5000 miles.

Sorta confused over this. 2 lobes!!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I doubt you will find a definite reason that using a different oil and filter would cause this problem. Things like this are almost impossible to pinpoint what went wrong.

Dean70Z28 and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Have a machinist look at the cam. They may have sense of what went wrong.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Today's cheap steel and a low grade hardening process IMO is the cause. After losing 2 solid lifter cams I went roller and everything's fine for the 7 yrs running so far. And I did use the best oils with enough ZDDP.

5. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

^^agree. I would not want to run anything but a roller. Rollers too don't need that ZDDP like a flat tappet.

Dean70Z28 likes this.
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Fuel pump pushrod! I still use high zinc oil for that reason. I know the fuel pump lobe isn't steep or under big pressure, but it is still a high friction area.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First off, that bites Craig69SSRS, and loosing 2 lobes right after the oil change is quite the coincidence none the less, but as Gary S said, it will be very difficult to determine. Today's latest "NEW" Shell Rotella T4 that replaced the T3 has even less zinc and phosphate than before. I liked that oil, but moved away from it a few years ago.

FWIW, I am in a different camp, I use FT solids for several reasons, between just 3 of my close customers, we have just under 90K miles logged, 2 solids (sbc) and one Hyd FT in a BBC. VR1 oil, no issues. You should look into this oil if you stay FT.

Staying on topic on this FT "issues" The 2 out of 3 classes I build carbs for run Hyd FT, some have logged thousands of race miles, over many seasons, they push the "rebuild" times very far. It's true, the quality and treatments of some components are lacking, there will always be a few lobe failures, but I'm not talking a few out of 1 rebuild or 2, more like several 100's of them, lobe failure percentage is actually low.

If the failures and doom and gloom was that bad with FT cams, Comp/Crane/Lunati/Edelbrock and the custom cam grinders would not sell anymore FT cams, solid or Hyd. But they still sell a crap load of them to this day.

Hell, remember when Nascar started with those lifter failures all of a sudden, wasn't that right at the same time Shell left one of the major big team(s), hence the reason of the "Joe Gibbs" oil, now Driven, they were FT cams in those CUP Cars (Rollers in Trucks). Sitting in a dyno cell at 9K RPM makes you think how in the hell can a FT cam live in one of those things for 500 miles.

Off my FT soapbox now, rant over LOL

Dean70Z28 and dave@ztech like this.
  8. Craig69SSRS

Craig69SSRS New Member

Yeah it sucks. I'm gonna pull it down I guess and see where the metal went. Taking the K&N filter to a friend with a diamond saw and get it sectioned. Royal Purple will analyze the oil in I send them a sample. Nothing to lose by doing that....I'd like to know what all they find it in. You best bet there will be a roller in it when it goes back together!

Dean70Z28 and gpm6367 like this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

My NHRA stocker buddy says they stopped using Royal Purple years ago because of wear issues so I listen to him on some of this kind of stuff. I know when I changed the rockers there was a tiny bit of metallic stuff in the head corners, I asked him about it and he said don't worry unless the oil pressure changes. Nothing there and pressure is at around 50psi at idle and 60ish at WOT. It sucks losing cam lobes, now when I break them in I use the wimpy set of springs that I have, so far so good.

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

That's crazy. I've had my ft for 5 or 6 years now. Still going strong just use Mobil 1 5w-30, 10w-30, or 15w-50 depending what I'm doing. 10w30 seems to be the best so far.
    Sorry to hear that though. I bet some little crud from something got between a lifter and bore not allowing it to spin