Low oil level sensor...anyone using it?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Jul 9, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I have my dash out doing some re-wiring and I was looking at maybe hooking up the low oil level sensor that's mounted in the oil pan. I currently have a block off plug in it right now.

It would be easy enough to wire up, one side is ground and the other side goes to the ground side of a light.

In my case, I would tie it into the check engine light on my VHX gauge cluster

I am running a Holley Terminator system and I already set up a custom ground output to the check engine light to kick on when my oil and fuel pressure drop or water temp get's too high...I would need to diode isolate that from the oil level ground

2. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Should be easy enough to do. One thing is factory oil level sensors only work at startup for 15 secs or so. If they kept working while running, you would get quite a few false "low oil" lights due to oil moving around. Just something to think about.

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oh wow, i did not know that. I may hold off on that for now. The only other thing is i could wire up a momentary relay, but that just adds more wiring to the equation

Thanks for the heads up