Lowered Car for Drag Racing

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by An87442, Apr 25, 2018.

1. An87442

An87442 Member

Did I possibly lower the rear of the car too much for drag racing. I originally had it set up with stock height Calvert Split monos and complete stock suspension up front with factory springs. Over the winter I switched to Autofab chromoly control arms and Viking Coilovers up front. Effectively this lowered the front end significantly. I have adjustable height in the front but I don't want to max out the extension of the shock either trying to raise it up to where it was. So I went and lowered the back end with 2" steel lowering blocks from DJM to balance it out. I haven't had it to the track yet but I am wondering if lowering it so much will drastically affect the weight transfer. I think I have it set at 25-1/2" at the fender lip at all 4 corners. Feel free to offer thoughts and experiences if you've lowered a 2nd Gen for drag racing.
    Stock Rear Height / Semi-Lowered Front
    [​IMG]

Lowered all the way around
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    dave@ztech and badslife2 like this.
  2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Well it does look better and the cal tracs shouldn't let it squat in theory.

3. jpkerley

jpkerley Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 70 sits like that. It's been high 9's. Just have to try it. Hotchkis rear springs. Cal tracs. Nothing special.

4. An87442

An87442 Member

What is your typical 60ft? I've been 10.20, normally a 1.40+/- 60ft. Hopefully I'll get to the track within the next week to find out. Tracks here in NE Ohio have yet to open. If all else fails, the blocks will come back out. I am just looking for cars that are set up similarly and it sounds as if yours may be. Thanks

5. jpkerley

Sounds like you have a bir more motor. I made 610FW. 3700lbs 1.47 60 ft on motor and some 1.38 on a 150 shot. Amd those were crappy qa1 coilovers and CE shocks in the back.

6. An87442

An87442 Member

I got back to the track last night for a few passes. As a starting point I am about at the same point as I was before I changed the control arms and lowered the rear. I looked over previous timeslips and I must have selective memory. My normal 60ft times were 1.46-1.52. I had a few 1.40-1.42 sprinkled in there but not the usual. Last night I started out with a 1.52 and then backed it up with (2) 1.46. I made no adjustments to the Double Adjustable beyond the initial setting of 12 Comp and 6 Rebound. Slight adjustments were made to the 2 step launch and rear single adjustable Calvert 9 ways. So with a baseline I will start playing with the DA Vikings and see if I can make some improvements. This is my second pass which was a 10.23@133 with a 1.46 60ft.

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

looks good man at least you didnt go backwards on the 60 foot numbers with the new set up.

8. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The suspension is what will get you the ET, That MPH is GOOOOOOOOOD!I have all the Calvert suspension on mine and in good weather it'll 60 1.40 in the summer usually 1.45

BTW it cracks me up that your track is just opening, ours is about to close for summer :)

9. An87442

An87442 Member

Yeah, I'm not mad that I am at least starting from the same place before any changes were made to the suspension. I will get to a few more TnT sessions and see if I can get some further improvements. I'm just trying to tickle the upper 9's with consistent high 1.3X 60fts. My MPH puts me in that range, it just shows that I have some inefficiencies to work out. Getting my 60ft down by a tenth will put me there since my last pass was 10.14@133 with a 1.46 60ft. I just wrung the motor out a little more on the shifts.
    Oh and living in NE Ohio gives us plenty of time to fix our junk over the winter before the tracks open in the spring (usually late spring because winter always wants to hang on and then comes the rain.)

10. jpkerley

Nice Mph!and what is your motor combo? Figuring out that 60 ft is all the difference. What tires you running pressure etc. nice passes. I'm itching to get mine out.