LRP Plantinum Track 9" differential

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 71RS/SS396, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I spend most of the time in my car on the road courses and auto-x so this info is probably not for everyone, but for the guys that do the same it may be helpful.

After repeatedly killing Tru-tracs I started looking for alternative solutions for differentials that would live and be rebuildable, unlike the Tru-trac that you throw in the trash once it starts slipping. I tried using a locker with the lightest spring available but the car would not turn well under throttle, it plowed like a dump truck if you gave it any throttle input in the corners.
    I found this billet diff. made by Larsen Racing that can be rebuilt and has the ability to tune the amount of pre-load the helical gears have. So far I'm happy with it's performance and would recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to a Tru-trac.

http://www.larsenracingproducts.com...-differential-9-ford-31-spline-1-4-tight.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I wonder how well that would hold up to drag racing? I'd like to swap the Detroit Locker in my Camaro. The price is pretty high compared to others, but if it holds up well then it might be worth it.

buick skylark likes this.
  3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. What would you compare it with: Tru-track, Detroit Locker or something else?

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Haha.... same thing I was wondering...

5. 71RS/SS396

It's pretty similar to a tru-trac in how it works, not sure how it would do drag racing. My thing was looking for something that was serviceable, I was killing two tru-tracs per season so this should ultimately be cheaper than tossing two tru-tracs in the trash.

6. 71RS/SS396

Similar to a tru-trac or Torsen in the mechanics.

buick skylark likes this.