LS Adventure Begins

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by JJFarmer, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Randy S

Randy S Veteran Member

I bought the 6701's but it's going to be a while before I can check 'em out as my car is presently in body shop purgatory. Standard MLS head gaskets or are you looking to bump compression with cometics?

2. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Gonna use the MLS gaskets

3. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I stripped the LS1 down to the short block today...and whoever designed the balancer must be a masochist. I had to take the big 1/2" breaker bar with a 30" cheater to get the bolt loose and my puller won't touch the balancer. I know that putting it back on and tightening will be fun.

That said, things are moving on. I put the 918 springs on the LS6 heads and they're ready to put on. Gonna do the cam swap first before the heads go on.

4. arwokc

arwokc Member

" I had to take the big 1/2" breaker bar with a 30" cheater to get the bolt loose and my puller won't touch the balancer. I know that putting it back on and tightening will be fun. "

I can sympathize with you. I actually soaked my balancer with PB Penetrant for about three days, then applied heat to the center with a heat gun. I still had to preload the puller while applying the heat, but it finally came off. It's hard to believe these things have a reputation of slipping with that much pressure applied.

5. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

are those the 65073 Edelbrock headers? I couldn't find any for Camaros, but found the A body ones, and the pics look identical. Wondering if they'll fit.

Jody

6. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

7. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

1970CamaroRS - that looks awesome! Mine should look just like that except aluminum block, and fuel rails/4bbl TB instead of a carb...

BTW - Edelbrock fixed their website and 2nd gen Fbody is shown for part number 65073...

8. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

They are the Edelbrock 65073 headers.

9. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thanks guys. I didn't see them listed on their site yesterday when I looked, but good to know they fit. I do not have a stock subframe so I'll wait until I have the engine mocked in place to see if they're going to work for me. Looks like a great deal for the money, since this is a non-stock application.

Jody

10. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Lots done today on the LS1. Changed out the cam and the LS6 heads, I think the internals are done now on the motor. Also hung the AC compressor with the KWIK brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]