LS and Trans discussion

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by cshorty14, Mar 20, 2019.

1. cshorty14

cshorty14 Member

I have to start of by saying I am a 24 year old non-engine/drivetrain savy individual, but I'm am trading mechanic labor from a GM Mechanic of 25 years for labor pouring concrete for a garage lift and a driveway. That will be later this summer, but with swap meet season happening and what not id like to start purchasing pieces ill need. Engine, transmission, rear end, etc...

I am a recent college grad and dont have the largest amount to throw at this project but id say id be willing to throw 4k-5k at this entire project, but i want to hear your inputs on what is ideal for a mild 400hp ls build.

As of now I'm thinking of picking up a 5.3 ls gen iii and cam and lift it to reach close to 400 crank with the EFI way rather then pick up a stock 6.0 LS. trans i feel a 700r4 is cheaper and easier to use over 4l60e but again let me know your idea on that. rear end im thinking a 10 or 12 bolt with 3.83 posi gears.

again i know little about this topic and can use any and all ideas on this. just trying to put my 1970 Camaro with a very tired out non original 350 with an equally tired out th350 and a limited slip weak rear end with a reliable update that has both some horsepower but also not looking to build a monster.... yet.....

2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Prob need a little more detail, assume you're just looking to build a nice cruiser? What are your plans for fuel injection, throttle body style on a carb type intake or running the LS1 intake? There are some engine and trans management setups out there that can make it pretty easy to get a daily driver on the road with an electronic trans with the LS1 intake.. I'm running a Fitech Ultimate LS setup on mine, prob not something to use if you're building a race car but, simple plug and play, it works well. There's lot of bashing of Fitech but, most the issues I've seen are self induced, not a system issue.
    Take a look at my thread, other than going to the LS2 and 4L65E from a GTO, I went very conservative on the rest of the build. Have about 3k miles on it with no issues and it fired right up last weekend after sitting since Oct..
    If you're going with the throttle body version, you could go with the 700R and linkage like a carb setup to run the cable for the trans..
    With the overdrive trans, 3.73 is a good all around gear ratio.

3. cshorty14

cshorty14 Member

Yes just a nice cruiser but still can take anyone getting alittle cocky at the stop lights haha. I feel like ls intake is maybe a little cheaper and easier but i again you guys know better.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Lol, if you want that you will need more than 400hp. Guys these days...600-800hp is pretty common.

cshorty14 likes this.
  5. cshorty14

cshorty14 Member

Ha not up in Wisconsin but when in doubt I’m just looking to get this car back on the road. I bought it with my own cash from delivering papers and bussing tables at 14 , and My father and I althroughout high school restored the body and finished it just in time for graduation and then college put the rest of hold. The subframe is in good condition but the frame rails are pretty patched up and the front spring pockets aren’t the greatest so for now i just want to get it roadable and enjoy the car. 600+ hp, even with subframe connectors , would make my car sit on three tires at a time in the garage hahaha 400 will be fine for me..... for now

6. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I reached out Hawks 3rd Gen in SC, they were easy to deal with and delivered a solid engine and trans with the computer, FE setup etc.. I sold what I wasn't using to pay for things I needed.. I think the guys name was Ryan.. Link
    The engine and trans showed up on a pallet and they rolled it into the garage for me in IL..
    Good guys..

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  7. cshorty14

cshorty14 Member

I have been gifted a LQ4 from a friend. Motor is complete with all the needed stock equipment and what have you, only hiccup being the crank is scored and just needs a trip to the machine shop to be re balanced.

mrfleet12 likes this.