LS engine a waste of time?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ClintB, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Im not arguing, your getting defensive over nothing.

BTW my engine was actually dynoed, not rated.

I have done a breakdown of what I would need and I came up with $3700 using a used LQ4. If I added in the cam swap, it would go up another $600. Add in all the little extras and it would be approaching $5K.

Theres no arguement that an LS is a good motor. Im just saying the benfiit of FI may not be worth it for some people. There are people out there that dont drive their car a whole lot and the $$ doesnt justify.

Your thinking of this in your world in terms of cost and availabilty, not the average person.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And in the very next post

:rolleyes:

I can sell a NEW 6.0L that makes well over 425 gross HP with a stock cam for what you paid for your crate engine.
    380 net rating is rated with all the stock accy, stock exhaust manifolds, and a stock tune. These engines easily make 40+ additional "RWHP" with nothing but computer tuning.
    My wife's Trailblazer SS is a good example of that with almost 50 additional RWHP and the engine has never been touched.

50 RWHP is approximately 60-65 flywheel HP.

There are no special handshake deals to buy these engines. I have them for sale on my website.
    I have done the research and those that purchase the engines get the advantage of my knowledge and research as to where to buy the harness and controllers and other necessary parts.

3. jakeshoe

Who do you think my customers are?

I've on more than one occasion done a cost estimate for a customer giving them complete costs of a well built 383 SBC vs. a LS engine install.

The LS engine usually comes out about $1000 more and that includes an OD trans that the 383 cost breakdown uses their existing trans.

That's pretty cheap to have an OD trans, roller cam, and EFI IMO.

If you've done the research and you have the experience why don't YOU post the complete breakdown of each and I'll tell you where you are wrong and show you common places to get the parts without a handshake deal.

Also,
    if you think taking a low milage used engine from a wrecked vehicle is a gamble, you haven't built very many engines or dealt with very many machine shops, have you?

Crate engines included,
    unless it's a new crate from an OEM, (and even some of those) there are horror stories all over the internet.
    I did some work for a customer who had been down that road with a very expensive 427 SBC crate engine that was junk in every aspect.

Hopefully you got what you paid for but most of those engines are not individually dyno'd.
    They build one engine, get a dyno sheet and then copy the build (and in many cases the dyno sheets) over and over.

4. badazz81z28

Im sure we talked about this in the past. Yes you can get the motor for $2700-$3000, but it doesnt come with a harness or ECM, The stock acc would need to be swapped out for F-body, Need to buy an F-body oil pan ect...etc...Maybe throw in an LS1 manifold too...Oh and add in the headers and misc stuff
    The cost keeps going up....

5. jakeshoe

The accy only need to be swapped out if you desire to run a car intake when we are speaking of 2nd Gen Camaro's.

The stock truck accy will fit the 2nd Gen. I've been there and done that, even posted pics here. Search Button...

The truck accy can even be made to work with a car intake if you are on a budget and don't mind some trimming.

I provide an oil pan that fits the 2nd Gens for $100 with engine purchase.
    The stock truck pan (new) can be sold to offset much of that.

6. jakeshoe

You SBC crate engine came with headers? and all the misc stuff?

This is where inexperience shows.

When you get serious,
    you realize that even the SBC if making the same power requires some upgrades to the fuel system, exhaust, etc.

The LS crates I sell come with exhaust manifolds that can be used or sold to offset costs, did your crate engine?

7. badazz81z28

Well Jake, The motor does not come with headers...but they are significantly cheaper than LS headers. I dont plan on "serious" power so no need to upgrade the fuel system.

I think its funny how you can say to sell off the oil pan and exhaust manifold...whos going to buy them? My motor did come with a nifty new flexplate and I cant even give it away...

Anyways....like I have always been saying....LS is not for everyone and is not always the best choice or price. Lots to consider....With my crate I will be driving around when the snow melts...I would still be saving and tinkering if I went LS

8. jakeshoe

You can sell the parts on LS1Tech. The truck manifolds (new) are worth a bit for the turbo guys, the truck pans (new) sell as well.
    I sold a used truck pan a few weeks ago for $75 to a local bodyshop. They had one that had to be replaced.

The LS engine isn't the "cheapest" way to go,
    it is the least expensive way to get very healthy streetable power, aluminum heads, roller cam, EFI, and OD trans.

You simply cannot do it cheaper and get all or even most of the above.
    My shop truck project is a good example of that. It started as a Vortec SBC with carb and 700-R4 and has transitioned (due to pooty aftermarket parts) into a EFI'd Vortec.
    I should have just installed a 5.3 and 4L60E.

9. badazz81z28

I can agree with ya there.

10. jakeshoe

Where did you come up with this?

Attitude comes from experience. I'm confident in what I do because I have the experience to back it up.

Smart,
    I must not be very smart to try to teach you again and again.

I guess your guilty concsience compelled you to quote my post.

You may want me banned because I will call out stupidity when I see it, however some here value the experience and information I provide.

When they (Admins) tell me (or indicate through action) that they don't value it, I will delete all my posts and share the information elsewhere.
    That hasn't happened thus far.

I still find it amusing/interesting that those who have done the LS swap are willing to repeat it, and those who haven't keep finding excuses not to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.