Ls,(LM7) to my 79Z 4 speed,(Borg Warner T-10)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Impact-mk, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

Is it because you use a special bell housing/adapter plate? or is it one of D&D's special T56's?
    Im not trying to be a smart ass or rude, im just genuinely curious because most of what i have read says it needs or is designed to be used by a hydraulic throw out bearing, and the words.
    • Works with hydraulic clutch mechanism only
    have appeared a few times, now that said most of my checking has been for the T56 magnum,

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I use a t56 out of a 4th gen and the stock 77 bell and clutch setup. I did it like 7 years ago, using a mcleod adapter plate. Since then quicktime started producing a bell with manual linakage.

3. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

Okay awesome, Does it work well? do you think that it is worth it to keep it manual clutch? just curious because i checked out your car and i think its wicked,

4. BonzoHansen

Impact-mk likes this.
  5. BonzoHansen

Sorry, I missed this. It works perfect. I already had it all in the car nearly new when the T56 fell in my lap. So for me it was a cost savings not having to replace anything. I like mechanical but lots of guys like hydraulic. either way is fine.

6. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

Wow that's awesome! and fairly inexpensive, thanks for sharing the find and remembering us "loons" haha,
    its perfect, the last piece of the puzzle before i can put the LQ9 into my car,

7. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

So an update, i found a nice LQ9 with less then 150 k km (90 thousand miles) on it, i have gotten myself a bellhousing from my 81 big Doolly by grabbing a Nv 4500 from my 97 Gmc to replace it, i ordered an appropriate pilot bearing, and i am now trying to decide on a clutch, any suggestions? also i am thinking of using "HOOKER 12618HKR - LS ENGINE SWAP MOUNT KIT" for motor mounts, does any body have any opinions on these mounts?

8. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

I have those hooker mounts with my ls /st10 setup. I had to redrill the mount holes in my x member and thats it. They worked perf

9. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

do you think that mine will need re-drilling? will all brands require it? thank you for your candor over the parts,

10. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Ya it will but its not a big deal. You will need to space your trans off the bellhousong to fit a hydraulic throw out bearing and will thus need an extended pilot bearing.