LS LQ4 Truck engine in 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by f-body, Feb 16, 2008.

1. f-body

f-body Veteran Member

Has anyone used the truck engine to swap into a second gen?
    Specifically the LQ4 truck engine. I have looked at the swap Jakeshoe is doing on the 69 firebird.
    Do you have to use the car acessory brackets for ps, a/c, alternator ect?
    Is it possible to use keep the truck brackets and use the truck intake.
    If I do have to, and I mean have to use brackets from a car which ones do I use or can I use. I also know I will need to notch the subframe to clear the a/c compressor.

Will the truck intake fit under the hood of a 2nd gen?
    I am going to keep the fuel injection. There are easy hand help programmers and LS1 edit makes it full programble. And it willl run clean to keep all the tree huggers happy.
    The truck oil pan is to big if I understand right. Who makes a modded pan? I read the f-body pan will fit. Is the GTO pan the same?
    Why do I have to use the 70-73 motor mounts?
    I might look into making my own. I just remeber what a PITA it was to install the clam shell mounts with poly bushings.

If anyone has noticed the old style engines like ours, costs have gone up. It almost seems like the power to cost ration would be better off to look into an LS engine swap.

2. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

The iron block 6.0L engines make very good performance platforms. Its a pretty popular swap with both the LT1 and LS1 4thgen crowd... more CI, and the iron block with 6-bolt mains makes for an absolutely bulletproof bottom end. They come with 345hp/380ft-lbs stock IIRC.

The truck manifold is very tall, and probably won't fit under a stock hood. But an LS1/LS6 intake manifold is a direct bolt on. The LS6 manifold would be a great choice for the 6.0L engine. The F-body oil pan should fit, but the truck pan could possibly fit as well. I've been told the only significant difference between the F-body pan and truck pan, is the truck pan is a bit deeper, so it hangs a little lower. Don't take my word for it though, I'm not 100% sure on that. Don't know about the GTO pan.

Swapping in the 6.0L engine is the same as the LS1 swap, for which lots of info is available.

3. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think the GTO pan will work. I think that was one of the problems Aceshigh had with his GTO LS1 install.

4. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hope you pull this off! Its something I'd like to do. If I was to build my car again, I'd go LSX for sure. Not that I know a lot about these engines, but from what I've read, there's little to be gained going to a 'car' intake. Better off bumping the hood.
    Wish you the best of luck!

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It won't work. April is correct.
    My LS1 was from a 2004 GTO, no workie.

Had to get the Fbody LS1 pan for my application to work.

6. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I've done the LQ4 swap in my 81Z. I bought a long block so I converted it to a carb for now. I'll try and answer your questions but if you do a search you should find the answers in more depth.

Accessories - I don't know if the truck ones will work. I used the f-body car ones (98-02 firebird/camaro). The iron blocks don't have one of the bosses in the block drilled for the alt bracket so you have to drill and tap it yourself. Other than that they bolt right on. I didn't use a/c so I'm not sure what needs to be done there.

Intake - I doubt the truck intake will fit without a cowl induction hood. My carbed intake just fits under my 81 air induction hood.

Oil pan - the truck pan will clear fine but it hangs down much lower than the front crossmember. I used 98-02 f-body pan and it fit great.

Mounts - I used S&P adapters with my stock 81 clamshell mounts. I used the poly bushings and know what you mean about PITA!

I love my LQ4. It has bags of torque and pulls hard to 6500rpms. It has also proven itself against my buddies dyno proven 400rwhp heads/cam 11 sec 2000ss. With a set of new heads and better headers I have no doubt I'll see close to 450rwhp.

Search for these and other answers here and on ls1tech.com in the "Conversions and hybrids" section where there are a bunch of guys who have done this.

7. f-body

f-body Veteran Member

Yeah need to save a few more pennies before this swap. But local salvage yards can get me a good LQ4 complete drop out for about $1700. I know I can do better off of ebay but by the time shipping is done might be about the same. I will shop around some more for sure just to see if I can save a few bucks. Dallas might be a little cheaper.

For heads look into the L92 heads. Almost 500hp at the flywheel with a cam change on a stock LQ4.

Can we get some pics of the clamshell mounts? I was wondering if the engine could be slid back as far as it can for better weight distribution.

8. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Sorry no pics of the mounts but they are factory 81 pieces. I slid my engine back about 1 7/8".

9. f-body

f-body Veteran Member

Thinking of doing this in my 1991 Chevy truck shortbed V6 has a lot of miles and I want an 454 SS truck so why not build one that faster than the SS. I get better performance and economy.

10. Glossman

Glossman New Member

I have a Vortec 4.8/4L80-E swap in progess. The truck intake does clear my hood, but the alternator doesn't (at least in trial fittings). We're in the process of figuring out what to do with the accessory drive.

Also, the LH8 oil pan is the one to get if you can't find an F-Body pan. It's designed for the upcoming V8 Colorado and H3 Alpha, but is extremely low profile.