LS LQ4 Truck engine in 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by f-body, Feb 16, 2008.

1. joeljet

joeljet Veteran Member

you can find a lq4 alot cheaper than that especially around here. i'm using all f-body acess and pan and notched the frame for a/c. i'm using brp mounts which allowed me to put the lower pieces anywhere before i welded them in so i put the engine in as far back as i could and still clear the a/c firewall stuff and the pan fits right behind the crossmember. you're welcome to stop by and check it out, i live over by the nascar track.

2. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I want to do a 5.3 Vortech swap. I should be getting a free block for it soon.

5.3 are plentiful and cheap...and can make amazing numbers.

3. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1! Yeah me too! 5.3 engines can be had for under 1000 bucks all day long... 285hp stock, chipped adds another 40 to the wheels. Not to mention cam swaps, and heads... This will be my next motor. Bummer about the alternator problem though. Ya know they put those motors in about 2 million tahoes and full size trucks...

Hell, even a twin turbo 4.3 could be fun.. syclone, typhoon...lol

4. KJZ28

I got my Free 5.3L bare block today. IT is bored to 5.4L and was honed..so I couldn't say no at that price. I will be buying a donor engine for the rest of the parts down the road.

I will be putting the LS6 Z06 cam in it and I am going to turbo charge it maybe 8-9 pounds of boost if I go with stock bottom end parts. If I can afford forged parts..then the boost goes up ;). I probably will use diesel turbos they are cheap. I want to do this project CHEAP AS POSSIBLE! I also would like get a T56 if I get enough $$$

Alternator problem? Not a problem for me I have a pin on fiberglass L88 hood. BOOYAH!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Funny statement. Wait till you see how much gaskets cost for these things compared to SBC stuff. They aren't cheap to rebuild but they make up for it with the power they produce.

6. KJZ28

I didnt say it was going to BE cheap. Just cheap as possible. I know everything related to them is expensive....but well worth it.

7. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I hear ya. I was actually trying to build mine cheap in the beginning and was astounded by some of the costs. As soon as I floored it the first time I realized it was money well spent.

8. KJZ28

That is good to here! Would Aluminum LS1 heads be good on a 5.3L block?

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I was under the impression 5.3 heads have smaller chambers and that LS1 guys will use them to bump compression a bit.

10. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

You will lose some compression by using the LS1 heads. I would try and find a set of 5.3 heads. BTW, the only real difference between the two heads is the combustion chamber and valve size. The ports are about the same.