LS LQ4 Truck engine in 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by f-body, Feb 16, 2008.

1. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I should have mentioned that I will most likely be sticking a turbo setup on it. Does that change anything?

2. Due North

Due North Member

Back from the dead.... I'm trying to find out of the truck accessories can run off of the FBody brackets, or do I need to purchase accessories as well? I may need to get creative but hoping that there's someone who's been able to get the LQ4 accessories to fit with a little 'massaging'. Thanks!

3. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm using the truck accessories with after market fbody brackets. Have you installed the motor yet? The reason I ask is there is a hole that you have to drill and tape in the truck block to be able to use the fbody brackets.

4. Due North

Due North Member

No, the motor is heading in for a good once over yet, and to be honest, some work left on the front end to have it ready to drop in. Trying to get my ducks in a row so once the time comes, it's as smooth a process as possible.

I came across this today for PS and alternator... no AC going in at this point.

http://kwikperf.com/lsx_high_mount.html

And this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Truck-Alternator-Power-Steering-Pump-Bracket-Accessory-Kit-LSX-LQ4-LQ9-/131596706648?hash=item1ea3c66358&vxp=mtr

Picked up an LS1 intake so I can fit under the stock hood without height issues given the LQ4's intake height. (yes, LS6 would've been better....on the wish list down the road once I get everything else done.) Good thing I don't need 'readers' yet because the research going into this project is much deeper than I first thought.... but it will be worth it at the end.... I hope... lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

I used the ICT relocation kit. It was 168$. Put the alternator on the top passenger side and moved the power steering pump up and away from the driver side head. Although the mtor is bolted into my Monte Carlo now its still the same as far as the power steering pump being very close to the gear box and upper control arm but nothing interferes

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

I have an LQ4 in my 72. The stock truck accessories all fit with the exception of the ac compressor. I'm sure there are relocation brackets available. The truck intake fits under a cowl hood. If you end up having clearance issues with the big truck alternator you can swap in a f-body alt. It bolts right in but is smaller in diameter. The truck pan fits but hangs to low. A f-body pan works perfect.

7. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

MadMike 72 are you useing truck brackets and if so what motor mounts are you using?

8. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

Yup I'm using all stock truck accessories and brackets and I'm using Moroso solid mounts with Holley adapters.

9. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

I choose solid mounts because my turbo is solid mounted to the subframe. I didn't want my hot side pipes to get flexed around to much. I also have solid subframe bushings so it will probably rattle my teeth out if I ever get it finished.

house67 likes this.
  10. Due North

Due North Member

Any clearance issues with the truck PS pump? I am strongly leaning towards the ICT setup so it's good to hear it fits. Any pics of the engine bay you could share?