LS LQ4 Truck engine in 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by f-body, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

I think if you use an oil pan from a blazer SS, it will work with no mods.

2. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

QUOTE=Due North]Any clearance issues with the truck PS pump? I am strongly leaning towards the ICT setup so it's good to hear it fits. Any pics of the engine bay you could share?[/QUOTE]

This is not my Camaro but its the exact kit I have that I was going to use in my 78, I think this is a 70-73 so basically the same thing. I'm in a group on Facebook called "lsx powered 2nd gen F-bodies" its a good group with good info.

This is what he said about it.

"Finally had time to install the pulley on my PS pump and throw the serpentine belt on it.I also 'massaged' the stock 1980 Camaro power steering pressure line to run from the steering box and pump (relocated using the ICT Billet 'truck' bracket kit).The return line is a different story so I'm just going to make one to fit"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not much belt touching the crank pulley in those pics, are you concerned with belt slippage?

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Never thought about it once I saw the pics but I won't know till I'm using mine. But they do sell the same kit with a tensioner that sit in between the PS pump and crank which puts more belt running on the crank pulley.

5. kttrucks

kttrucks Member

Got the LQ4 in my 78. I went straight to Holley for mounts and pan, as well as accessory drive. Their " long" drdive brackets worked great with my truck motor, and since I got my long block with ( only) the water pump, it works great with their accessory drive system. I know it's not salvage stuff, but it's basically Corvette based, and one could buy there brackets and spacers ( I think...) and use salvage drive brackets.... I dodnt want ot spend $$ on a new ballancer, and all the stuff lines up and fits great... there's something to be said for having it fit right out of the box. Check out there options... nice stuff.

6. Camaro-Chevelle

Camaro-Chevelle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For anyone interested, these are the parts that I used for the short Corvette Water Pump configuration:

Water Pump ~ AC Delco 251-726
    Power Steering Pump ~ AutoZone 63106
    Power Steering Reservoir Kit ~ Holley 198-200
    Power Steering Pulley ~ Chevrolet Performance 12568997
    Driver Side Bracket Kit for Alternator and Power Steering Pump ~ Holley 20-135
    Accessory Drive Bracket Kit for SD508 A/C Compressor ~ Holley 20-132
    Harmonic Balancer ~ ATI Super Damper 917266

I was able to use the truck alternator that came with the 6.0.

7. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Subbed for this swap! trying to gather a cost of parts.