LS swap 5.3 or 6.0 ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by stroked383, Dec 6, 2012.

1. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks all

2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

I get so sick of reading these kinds of post...

Bottom line is "YES" you can find darn near anything for cheap! Some times even free.

Now forget about the "deals" you get from your uncle who owns a salvage yard or the hours you spend on craigslist looking for someone selling an engine they have no clue what it's worth etc...

You have to take this on face value! On the average market...We are not always going to stumble upon killer deals, even though they do happen! Compare the market!

5.3 engines are cheap. No matter where you look (Ebay, craigslist, a recycler etc) they can be had for $800 to $1000 COMPLETE just like ACE said.

From there is goes up, because the others are more desireable.

Youre typically going to spend more money for an LS2 than an LS1 and a LS3 than a LS2. The Aluminum engines will have a higher price tag on them because they are all aluminum.

The iron LQ4 and the LQ9 are good budget engines. They demand less money than their aluminum counterparts, but for good reason. They are less desirable because they are heavier! That doesnt bother some people.

The LY6 is a good compromise because of the LS3 heads. You will typically pay more for these engines because they are more desireable. The market value on these engine is approx $2500-$3500 complete with 80K-100k+ miles on the clock. Can they be found cheaper? Sure, but so can anything else...

Realistically, the bigger cubes you go, the block material, you will spend more money. Stick to a budget and look for an engine. Some people have no problem waiting, but if you are ready to go, the 5.3 will be cheaper.

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

You also have to understand, you will not always have the baddest car in the block. Some people go to far extreme edge because they feel like they need the most power possible.

A simple 5.3L or an LS1 can and frequently do run down the strips in 11 secs. A significant improvement over any old SBC

4. msalser1000

msalser1000 Member

Its all in how much you want to put into your vehicle, I bout a complete 6.0 at the junk yrad for $250. Then I sold crank, pistons, rods, heads, for more than I paid for the engine.

Then I bought my Texas Speed 416 rotating assembly, set of LS3 heads and valve train. I now have over 10,000 in the build but its what I wanted. Yeah there are cars with more HP under the hood but I also have a second Gen with a 416 LS and a 6 speed.

Its all about what makes you happy at the end of the day!

5. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Go to carpart.com. Look up a 2007 Chevy 2500 truck with gasoline 6.0L engine (LY6). There are a bunch of them under $2K. The first one on my list for zip code 44281 is $1500 with 89K miles and runs good. How about that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Go to carpart.com. Look up a 2007 Chevy 2500 truck with gasoline 6.0L engine (LY6). There are almost 40 of them under $1,500. The first one on my list for zip 44281 is $1500 with 89K miles and runs great. How about that. :rolleyes:

And the first one for zip 12477, Saugerties, NY, is $1635 with 75K miles. Huh, how about that. And the next one is $1,800 with 65K miles. And their both within about a half hour drive.

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Car-Part 2011 COMPLETE prices I quoted when I was shopping and got mine.
    My engine was only $1850 by itself. Higher mileage they get cheaper.

I added all the rest of the accessories on and it came to ~$2150

If the prices are only $1500, I believe ya. :)
    That's pretty good reason right there to just get the 6.0L LY6

8. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now I feel bad for getting a 40k 6.0L for about $800 :)

All prices are subject to where you are located in the US and sometimes mileage and condition. Up here in NY if you wait until the spring time after all the plow trucks are junked or a good winter storm you'll find a ton of truck/van motors cheap. The bodies rust out up here before the drivetrain takes a dump.

Hell down south wait until after a good storm for all the insurance auctions to pick up a water logged car. Half the damn time we tear the engines down any way so who cares if there was water in it if it's just going to the machine shop any who.

9. lyrch

lyrch Member

I bought the whole suburban wrecked for 1500$. Been selling good body parts off of it. I already got 300$ back. Can get another 200-300$ when I bring it to autoshred. Haven't decided if I want to try to run the rearend yet if not it'll sell. Seems to me if you can find a wreck then that's the way to go.

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why ??

LQ4's can be had that cheap easily.