LS swap questions/direction

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by radztwenty8, Sep 20, 2017.

1. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

Hello all,
    I just picked up a used 5.3 liter that I'm planning on swapping into my 71 Camaro. I've started to do some research but thought maybe some of you guys have already been doe. This road. Currently I have a 350 4speed in my Camaro. I'd like to do as much as this on a budget. Since the engine could use a rebuild I would like to swap out the internals. I figure since it's out of the car it's much easier to spend the money on the internals now. My other thought is to keep the car carburated. So pretty much my question is, has anyone done a 5.3 liter conversion backed up to a 4 speed? I've seen plenty of links for fuel injected 6speeds. Unfortunately buying a 6 speed is not in the budget as well. Would love to hear if someone else has gone with this setup, problems, advice, and performance numbers. Much appreciated to all for the time. Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

4 speed is no problem. I would suggest looking into a hydraulic clutch to simplify the swap. Silver Sport transmission has a kit for the TKO/4 Speed but others make them too (American Power Train etc).

There are aluminum and steel 4 speed to LS bellhousing that uses the LS clutch.

The 5.3 iron block engines have been known to be bored to make a 350. If you're buying internals look into that as well as maybe increasing stroke.

3. badazz81z28

4. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

Thanks for the help. Are you saying I should convert to hydraulic because the original manual linkage won't work? Over all hydraulic is much nicer to have over the old manual linkage. It looks like silver sport transmission has a whole conversion kit. Woah for 1600 dollars

5. badazz81z28

What? $1600! It was only like $600 when I bought mine. The mechanical linkage works with the correct pivot ball adapter. The PIA is headers and finding a set that clears the linkage.

You can always use a ATS or DSE bracket, OEM hydraulics and a retro-fit slave. That shouldn't be more than $500

6. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

It was 1600 for everything. Bellhousing, clutch, etc. Yeah might have to go with q hydraulic setup if you're saying the linkage won't clear the exhaust. I'm actually going to be looking for a set or long tube headers too most likely. That's what the car has on it right now and I would really like to no have to put on a new exhaust on. I have a exhaust from ram air restoration and is for clearance since the car has a lower profile suspension.

7. badazz81z28

Do you have a link to the kit you are looking at?

8. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

9. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Nice Z, love the color! Welcome to the forum.

Even with a cowl hood, you may run into clearance issues with the truck intake/accessories. Going the carb route is kinda cool ...old school look in all, but FI is the so much better in my opinion. There are +/- to going carb. Carb lessons some of the wiring and you are for sure to confuse some at car shows.
    The truck intake, while ugly, performs quite well from what I have read.
    Start reading other forum builds, 5.3 has been put in a ton of f-bodies (1st and 2nd gen).
    While searching, I have read at times where someone made the truck intake work but I don't know exactly where it was...start searching and taking notes!
    Go with the Holley oil pan or stock f body- don't ask if "muscle car/lh8, hummer h3 pan" will work. It does fit, but hangs too low.

Jump over to transamcountry country. Guy named Ryan has write up on putting a 5th gen camaro fuel bucket in old tanks. Shallow, No baffle needed, OEM part. We both put the 4th gen buckets in our LS swaps. He sold his...but he is now building a 1st gen camaro. Your early 2nd gen tank is shallower than the later gen ones. Ryan is also on here and ls1tech (ryeguy2000a) same user name on multiple forums.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversi...-5th-gen-camaro-fuel-pump-68-camaro-tank.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

Thanks! Debating on whether I should put a stripe on her or not. The reason I was thinking about going with carburated was for cost reasons, and the motor already came without the intake. I figured I can do a much cheaper build and can utilize a MSD conversion with the carb setup. That being the case, would I still need to modify the tank? I haven't seen much on that so far in my search on the forums.