LS swap questions/direction

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by radztwenty8, Sep 20, 2017.

1. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

When you use the ls1 intake, the truck water pump doesn't fit. There are 3 spacing for the accessories. Fbody, vette, and trucks. There are tricks to read about (mix and matching from different vehicles) but you may be best to look for a set of brackets used. With a carb setup, you won't need to mod the tank BUT you will need to add an electric pump. I had an external electric at first...ugh...nnnnoisy! In tank is the way to go but I don't know how you'd regulate pressure for a carb.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What ever you do, don't do the opposite you want for things like cost. The most enjoyable part of the swap is taking advantage of what the engine has to offer. You want to keep the fuel injection! Search for a car intake and car accessories, the right place and the price is ok. For a fuel tank, don't cheap out here either. Cost versus the work to modify needs to be balance. IMHO a Ricks Tanks or even a Spectre with a better pump will be worth the extra cost all day long versus modifying (trial and error) your stock tank.

Again, trust me on this. I went cheap at first and regret it and always spend more later then if I just spent the $$ the first time.

3. badazz81z28

4. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

So one of my other thoughts was if I went with a different set of heads. Instead of doing all the plumbing and electrical isn't there and aftermarket setup out there that offers an old school setup of heads? Keep more of the long block approach and reconstruct the top end. My thoughts are maybe cost wise it would pan out to be less of a hassle. Overall though, maybe I'm defeating the purpose of the LS swap.

5. badazz81z28

^^ The 5.3 engine should have the 243 heads or equivalent on them. Perfect heads that easily will support 500hp+. Honestly there really isn't that many wires to deal with and plumbing is just a fuel line.

The engine wiring really only consist of 2 wires coming off each sensor or fuel injector headed back to the ECM. Its really simply once you actually analyze it.

6. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

The more research I keep doing the more I'm starting to think I should just go fuel injected. I can't say this project is a real rush. It's still car season in jersey so I certainly don't want to miss out on any shows. Speaking of shows. Any Jersey people out there there's a great show in October for Flemington speedway. October 21st. I'll certainly be attending!

7. badazz81z28

^^^ it the best choice IMHO. Fuel injections is what makes the swap so worth it. Any engine can be made to have power, but to just turn the key and it starts...Not have to let the choke open while the engine is cold....its so nice.

8. radztwenty8

radztwenty8 New Member

Yeah I more or less had my dad and friend sit me down and be like dude were not going to let you do that ha. Well now I just need to make up a list and start looking/buying parts. Really I'd like to focus on building the motor up before I stick it in the car. I feel it makes more sense to spend the money on the internals now as opposed to constantly pulling the engine. Everything all depending on cost of course.

9. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Good decision. I'd recommend going the Holley pan/ engine mount system. Look out on the forums (especially ls1tech in the sales section) for complete ls1/ls6 intake with fuel rails, injectors and map sensor. Also, think about engine accessory brackets. You can go new (Holley is one company) or used f body or vette lineup. You will need to change your water pump and crank/balancer. The vette is closest to the engine, truck is farthest, f body is in the middle. You'll find as you look/ make your list of things.. The LS gen is pricey! This may be a year or longer process as you gather all your stuff.

Found this- don't know much about them but appears decent
    http://www.lssimple.net

Leon

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  10. badazz81z28

I would say the F-body accessories are closer in to the engine. That's why people with sec gens have issues. The alternator is right below the PS and because of that it's usually in the way if the pitman arm. I had to trim my inner fenders for the vette set-up.

Avoid the Holley pan. You're just paying more for a name and made in China. You can get a the Fbody pan through the Dorman brand or I would get the GM. The engine adapters can be bought on EBay for $40