LS swap questions/direction

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by radztwenty8, Sep 20, 2017.

1. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

The vette system IS tightest/closest to engine but is also the most pricey. I understand the fbody alt pitman issue. In my set up, the previous owner installed engine slightly forward (maybe an inch) to avoid this issue. Drawback is the f body pan had to be notched when I put it in later (I had the LH8 pan). I like the vette or the system that has alt up high...looks best and easiest to work on. I would go with this system.

Yeah, I recall you not liking the Chinese made Holley stuff! I like stuff engineered to work together. I worry about "drivetrain angles", and companies like Holley and BRP address this issue. To each his own!

Off topic- how close are you to finishing your z? What happen to your 1981 Z?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Look at the F-body Accessories compared to the Vette, which I HAVE ran both BTW. The Camaro is clearly "tighter" to the engine then the Vette. Look how the vettes upper alternator location swings it out. Also, I would not leave driveline angles to a kit. I say this because there is more playing a factor then just the adapter brackets. I ran $40 Ebay brackets with a modified crossmember and was fine.

Attached Files:

3. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

You and I are talking about 2 different things. I'm referring to this...

The three configurations vary by how far the serpentine belts are spaced from the front of the engine block.
    The Corvette is the most compact, the F-Body GTO is a little farther forward, and the truck engines
    have the belt spaced farthest away from the front of the engine block.

4. badazz81z28

That's irrelevant to an LS swap in these Sec Gen cars. BTW it only holds true to the older LS engines. I'm pretty sure the 5th Gen LS3 in the Camaro is using the same water pump and crank pulley as the Vette.

5. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

It IS relevant if the OP goes out and mixes and matches truck, fbody, and Vette accessory brackets. I think OP has an older 5.3. I'm not trying to argue my superior intellengence, just state known facts to help OP. No experience with 5th gen camaro, but I did read that 5th gen shares the truck spacing( the distance from block to the serp belt). I didn't say anything about sharing water pump!

http://www.lsxconcepts.com/what-belt-offset-do-i-need/#.WcgISbX3aaN

I guess I'm done on this thread.... c ya.
    OP- PM me if you want

6. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

5th gen camaro does share spacing with the truck stuff. And I had little trouble using f body accessories on my car with the Holley kit. Just had to trim the plastic on the back of the alternator iirc

7. badazz81z28

There's only two water pump spacing that I know of. Which other then the early GTO and Camaro LS1/LS2s and trucks, they should all now use the Vette style water pump. Don't confuse physical appearance of the crank pulley to determine where it will sit. For example, the Corvette has a dry sump and a wet sump crank pulley, but they end up on the space belt line spacing thus use the same water pump and accessories. Bottom line you got to know what you have and what you want to run.

It's ok to humble Leon, you're not the only one who has swapped LS engines in these cars. I have done it 4 times in different configs on these sec gens. I have some lessons learned.

8. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

frontrunner.JPG

9. bigblockb

bigblockb New Member

On 5.3's, the majority will have 706/862 heads. 706's seem to crack on certain castings. 862's are decent heads for what they are. Some 5.3's can have 799 heads and are like the 243's and are heads everyone wants for performance. LS6/LS2 will have 243's. Occasionally see them on others.
    I used the carshop 1" setback motor adapters and really happy where the motor sits. 79 z28 and the fbody accessories fit great (except ac comp). Speed eng headers are cheap and fit fine. Tanks inc. tank $500 then regulator and fittings. I used ptfe fuel line. A lot of little things add up quick, but not too much. I have approx. 4000 in the motor/t56trans swap. 2500 for built ls1 trans combo. Right place, right time with cash in pocket. My 1 and only.
    A little fab on the tranny cross member and measure for driveshaft, if going t56.
    Dorman makes a decent ls6 intake for cheap and seems to work ok. Better than stock ls1. Truck intake is actually pretty good, just tall. Adjust wiring harness for stand alone and needs a tune, if stock gm ecm.
    A lot of ways to save $$$ on this swap.

10. badazz81z28

^^ I was tracking these heads were common in 5.3s for the last 12-13 years. What do you mean majority of 5.3s don't? Pre-2005?