Ls swapped...would you do it again?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Fbird, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As the title asks...Would you do your Ls swap again?
    I am ALMOST..at the crossroads of bringing MY 81 BIRD back to life. I have a few very difficult decisions I must make before planning my route.
    Currently PONCHO 400 is DEAD. I borescoped #1 hole to find cracked block , busted head, busted piston after it ingested SOMETHING. (was not a valve??)

SO

Given the need for an entire powerplant I am almost considering a LS swap BUT I am NOT sure on the hidden costs or the results as i have not followed any LS stuff... (it aint PONTIAC).
    I do know that to achieve MY performance goals with the parts I have (already fuel injected, headers, blocks, cranks, universal tranny) I expect about $6000 worth of build to get me at 475 ish HP driving down the street.

Can I do that with a LS swap?

2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I can answer the question in the title, yes I'll do it again, looking for my next project as I type this.
    Depending on what your intent is with the car, $6k could be a pretty tight budget, I opted to go with an LS2 which gets you a little over 400 hp stock with headers and CAI, then you need to think about plumbing, electrical etc..
    I used a spreadsheet to track options before I bought the first part, documented costs for each option and pulled it all together for the options I decided worked for me.. Even with all the research, you can figure on spending more than what you estimate.

It's a great platform to work with, would for sure do it again.

Fleet

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Not only would I do it again I would take it even further. I have $10k in a LS7, I would spend much more to get 440 cubes out of it. My car is way faster than any engine I have had in a sec gen to include the 454 BBC

4. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

I put a ls1 in a 67 RS convertible, my first. I'm putting a 2018 Lt 5.3 in a 66 c10 now.
    I love the way they pull from 600 to 6000 rpms...

mrfleet12 likes this.
  5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

1. Yes
    2. Perhaps

6. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Yes I would do it again, I have an LS one in my Camaro and I’ll admit it was kind of a headache getting it in there but once everything was done it was worth it.
    I’m doing an l76 now and can’t wait

7. amargari

amargari Veteran Member

Yes I would do it again. Although I don't know how much I would have liked the swap without the T56.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

lol...not me. Car starts right up, no feathering the pedal on cold days...460rwhp out if 347 cubes. Yeah don’t look back.

9. amargari

amargari Veteran Member

Let me restate that. I love my current LS6/T56 combo. They work so well together. I had a TPI system on my previous engine, so I was used to some of the advantages of EFI. That being said, the LS engine is so much better for throttle response, power, oil leaks, etc. However, having an overdrive manual transmission with a hydraulic clutch is awesome too!! Even an overdrive automatic will be light years better than a TH350 or TH400.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your on a budget due to broken parts then I’d buy a GM crate engine. You need to price out the 2 scenarios then go from there.