Ls swapped...would you do it again?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Fbird, Nov 25, 2019.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I will say that is pretty amazing. I have thought about selling my big block and going LS, but I know it won't make as much power as my current big block. The LS is a great engine, just too bad they are so freaking expensive around here.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I’ll go out on a limb here and say my LS is faster than your big block lol

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Awww snap here we go!

I have yet to drive my LS1/T56 (in paint jail) and it won't be as fast as badazz's but I know for sure I won't regret my drivetrain choice. You can find 5.3L truck engines for cheap all day long. I have more money than brains, so I didn't go that route.

4. badazz81z28

Lol, this will actually surprise you (or maybe not). I watched the Tv episode, but here’s the read.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hotrod.com/articles/700hp-shootout-efi-ls7-vs-blown-big-block/amp/

mrfleet12 likes this.
  5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I watched that episode, that was quite the thrashing they did in that thing.

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Your ls cost DOUBLE what my big block costs.
    It also probably is within a tenth or so.
    If I spent what you did on your 427 I would bet that the big block would mop the floor with that 427
    We make the same rwhp(although mine is making all that at 5000 rpm) yours weighs less.
    As a matter of fact I remember when we both posted times and they were right in the ball park of each other for MPH with mine being heavier and having issues with spark with yours having issues with traction.
    I really think they would be very close running the the strip, don't get me wrong I would love a 427 ls, just not at double what I have in my big block(which is nothing fancy, it's even a solid flat tappet still)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

UGH

the things that matter the most to me are how a car looks and how a car SOUNDS

a $6000 LS sounds like a purring kitten compared to a $6000 lumpy monster Pontiac 400

8. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

I'd like to but don't know if I want to deal with all the work and the down time.

My car currently runs fine. Has a 330HP GM 350HO crate engine. Will prolly install a Holley Sniper and a 400r4 and call it day.

9. badazz81z28

I’m just giving you a hard time. Carb engines are just obsolete, I just can’t bear to think back to all the days of cold starts, flooding, dying etc etc...with the carb.

I do feel I have the best of both worlds, high cubes, light weight, power, and fuel injection. If you recall a had a 454 in my 78, the nose of the Camaro is insane with an all iron big block. If you look back further I was also a little ignorant to the LS potential.

76z28 likes this.
  10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I have fuel injection so I don't have those issues. I was able to sell my carb/intake for about half of what I have in my fuel injection :)
    I got lucky with my set up though, which is likely why I only have about 5500 bucks in it(between machine work, heads on sale etc)
    As for you have the best of both worlds, you're 1000 percent right. I want a 427 LS and who knows, if I can find a truck I may drop my big block in that and build a big cube LS for my car.