Ls wiring

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Mar 15, 2017.

1. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Can someone provide info of which wires to use to power the fuel pump and the radiator fan please.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Stock harness? I used the HEI wire for the ECM. The fuel pump was built into the stand alone harness. What harness are you using? Factory?

3. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Factory 2006 GTO melded in with a Painless, understand it is safer and better to wire into the PCM. In the attached is it the wire identified as "fuel pump wire". What is the function of that identified as "fuel pump relay" and what to do with it?
    These questions may seem dumb to you and those on this site but, I am "Old and Old School" and just getting into the engine controls of the LS engines and haven't found much help on the web. No problem working on my 65 GTO or any of my pre LS toys.
    With that said the drive line was originally installed by a local shop (scarred the bejesus out of me) since then sub-frame was detached for some unexpected body work and now has been mated back together, the shop that disassembled it wasn't all that careful when disconnecting the electrical.
    Currently the car runs via using the Fuel Pump wire from the Painless harness. Appreciate ANY help / input I can get to understand the controls.
    upload_2018-10-17_8-52-43.png

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yes, the "fuel pump wire" is the source intended to feed your fuel pump. The "relay" is just a switch that is powered by a low amperage control wire that opens a circuit to allow 'higher' amperage power to flow to the pump - more of a safety feature so the whole circuit is not seeing high current.

If your engine is running fine with the pump powered via the Painless harness, it is probably fine, but as stated using the ECM is probably better.

5. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Thanks Goat, this weekend I will get after it again and likely be asking more questions I’m sure.
    Is there such a thing as “LS wiring for Dummies”?
    This is all Greek to me BUT, with a little help and patience me and ANYONE that replies to questions I will again enjoy this car!

6. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Hello again, snuck out to the garage, the wire labeled fuel pump is 14-16 gauge will this gauge provide juice safely? For some reason seem to recall reading somewhere a 12 gauge requirement?

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^ in the painless harness...NO! That wire is used to trigger a relay. You need to wire the pump off the battery and use 10-12ga. I integrated the fuel pump wire into my GMPP fuse box to provide actuation power to the relay the ecm controls.

Very little of the engine harness integrates into the vehicle harness. Really only ECM power and fuel pump relay power. The gauges depending on used

8. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    And that's why I am here, I assume the GMPP is the main fuse box? Where to connect the power feed to the fuel pump, as noted previously you guys have been there done that.

9. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Which wire was "14-16 gauge"? The Painless or the one in the GM harness?

My GM ecm has a wire coming straight off the relay and labeled similar to yours, but it is a bigger gauge wire. To reiterate, the relay transmits the higher current and is triggered by a low current control wire.

I don't know the particulars of your Painless harness. You said it was currently running off the Painless wire. I again assumed that if it was working fine like that, then it must be ok...but I had a similar question when doing mine and after studying on it further, decided that it was better to go the ECM/engine harness route (as I related to you previously).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    The wire referenced as 14-16 gauge is in the original donor 2006 GTO wiring as seen above labeled fuel pump wire. In the Painless wiring off the fuse block there is a beige wire marked Fuel Pump, it is a 12 gauge wire that is currently being used seen in the smaller attachment at the bottom of the picture. See below, I will go through the manual again this weekend.

Sorry for being such a pain, just looking for help to muddle through this adventure. I plan to reach out to a member living near me to see if he can spend some time educating me, any help is most appreciated more than you know.

Part Number: 20112
    Year: 1970-1973
    Make: Chevrolet
    Model: Camaro
    Engine: Carbureted or Any Stand Alone Fuel Injection
    Trans.: Any

This 26 circuit direct fit 1970-1973 2nd Gen Camaro harnesses has virtually every connector installed on the harness out of the box. These harnesses are split into three sections (engine, interior, & rear) and features a fully integrated ground circuit. You'll find many upgrades in ths harnesses such as a 6 gauge charge wire and a 150 amp midi fuse. Also available is a 150+ page full color step by step manual that also covers many alternative wiring options and each wire is custom printed with the circuit identification as well as using GM color codes for easy installation.

NOTE: Factory A/C wiring is not included, as this option seemed to almost change year to year. These harnesses DO include the power wire for the A/C switch to make it as easy as plugging in your original A/C harness, an aftermarket reproduction harness, or an aftermarket A/C system. These harnesses DO include a new blower motor harness for those with heat only systems.

Wiring for factory power window/locks is also not included but available as a separate part number. Painless part # 30715 is a factory style power window/power lock harness for these vehicles if a replacement harness for this option is needed. Like the A/C wires, these chassis harnesses DO include the power wires for the power window/lock option making it another easy plug in to a factory power window/lock harness or the Painless Power Window/Lock Harness.

Attached Files: