LS1 2nd Gen - Who has them, and who has plans???

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who here has serious plans to either retrofit their 2nd gen or has already done it ??? I know I've been kicking this idea around for ages, but I can't seem to get past the $3,000 install price a local speedshop quoted me for. www.ls1speed.com is the place.

I'm trying to get ALL the information I possibly can to do this on my own and complete it in 1 season if at all possible. I recently spoke with Lil SS who has a kickass turbo LS1 planned, and in all reality I'd REALLY like to do this as well, but I need to know if I need to rebuild the stock LS1 from the ground up or not.

Anyhow, who is SERIOUSLY interested in doing this??? I know so far

Patrick73RS - Ls6 or Ls2 in 2nd gen plans.
    MikeM79 - Ls1 in a 2nd gen - done
    Primate - Ls1 in a Delta 88 - done
    LIL SS - Ls1 turbo in a 2nd gen - in action

Who else??

2. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

I also have plans, but no money to do it. And I'm also looking at what it will take to do it. So far, I don't have much, but I'm just beginning my search. Any info at all would be helpful.

3. LS1 1971

LS1 1971 Veteran Member

I have plans to put one in my 70, kind of on the back burner for another year. Just too many projects right now i have to get done before this one. I already have the motor and trans out of a 2002 Camaro. Just make sure if you are getting it on ebay or any other place for that matter, get the vin off the motor and check to see if it was reported stolen or not. Mine came from a chop shop operation and i could not do anything with it for a year before i got everthing straightened out. :mad: That is why i kind of lost interest in it for a while.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:eek: Are you f'n kidding me ???
    Wow.......I can't see why you couldn't use it for a year though. That threw me for a loop, because you have an ebay transaction they could have went after the seller if anyone. It shouldn't complicate things for you. That's still bogus though....thanks, I'll have to consider that when I buy. Does the motor have a VIN that matches the cars VIN ??

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have plans, but no motivation, and especially no time, and I don't pay other people to do mechanical work on my car.;) I haven't decided whether to go with an LS1 or a 5.3. I'm debating whether to buy new or not- I have no regrets about purchasing the T56 new way back in '95, so maybe I'll just go with the LS1 engine kit. GM PN 25534322 $6150 from Sallee.

The 5.3 is a bit cheaper- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Todd

6. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I should note that I have added the LS-7 as the possibility for the next upgrade. I sold off the LS-6 &2. This swap is getting easier every day as more and more companies are jumping on the bandwagon for parts and accessories. Long tube headers are my next conquest.

7. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

I thought that they already made long tubes for 2nd gens or was that someone asking for that ??

Hmm....I think someone posted asking for a car to borrow for fitting them I think......:confused:

I'd do it if I could swing the whole deal....maybe ;)
    Sell 2 454's, 2 4spd trans's.....buy a whole engine/6 spd car and yank the driveline.

NAWWWW...but it is nice to think about....

8. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

planned it and already into the swap. Hopefully I will be done before the snow is gone and the bikinis come out

9. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was posted by me and it was someone looking for a second gen so they could develop the long tubes (they have a shorty already). It was Stahl by the way. I have forwarded this site to them (maybe they could be a sponser). it is out of my hands really

10. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

I have plans for putting an ls1/t56 in my 79. I guess you could say the progect is in action.... I have the motor/trans sitting in the garage, only problem is i dont have my camaro here yet....