LS1 2nd Gen - Who has them, and who has plans???

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 71CamaroLS1

71CamaroLS1 New Member

My swap has been up and running for about 9 months now (although it hasn't seen the road much recently in the Oregon rainy season). It is definitely the nicest driving old car I've ever been in.

Be aware when you read the swap details, this was definitely not a low budget swap, that wasn't a big objective for me.

The T-56 trans was already in the car behind the old small block, it's a Viper trans modified by D&D with old style input shaft and bellhousing mount. I used one of the new Lakewood scattershields designed for LS1s, a conventional 11" Centerforce clutch with the stock LS1 flywheel and a longer pilot bearing (custom machined, but I think Street and Performance sells one). Clutch actuation was via McLeod throwout bearing and Wilwood 5/8" long stroke master cylinder (very smooth operation). Although this is a t-56, the same parts would work for a Muncie or Tremec 5 speed or anything else designed to go originally behind old style small block/big block.

Oil pan is a C5 'vette pan (trying to keep oil on the pickup at track days). We had to slightly notch the subframe cross member to clear the front of the pan. If I were to do this again, I'd use the new LS2 Corvette pan, which is supposed to have even better oil control and doesn't stick out the sides.

Headers are Pacesetter long tubes for 4th gen Camaro. Bought them without coating so we could modify them, had to cut the driver's side collector off and reweld it to point straight back instead of angled into the frame. Also had to reroute a couple of primary tubes slightly to clear the C5 pan. Passenger side fit well, had to bend the collector in very slightly with a big come-along. Hooker now makes long tubes for LS1 in first gen Camaro and also now for Chevelle - I'd be tempted to try those first if I were to do it again.

Radiator is a Ron Davis 31" dual pass with built in dual electric fans and shroud, and oil cooler. I've used this radiator in other applications, and it has phenomenal cooling power (it should, for almost $800). Needed to keep things cool on the Portland International Raceway track days.

ECU is a Big Stuff 3 with wide band O2 - I wanted to do my own tuning, and wanted data logging. If you want to do your own tuning and data logging, there really are no inexpensive solutions out there.

The engine was out of a 2000 Camaro. I modified it with AFR 205 heads, custom Comp 224/228 cam, FAST 90 mm intake and TPIS 90 mm throttle body. With those mods, it made a shocking 453 HP at the rear wheels, and still idles like a pussycat.

2. Teetoe_Jones

Teetoe_Jones Member

We just started this swap to engineer all the items to make it a bolt in on a 70 Camaro. So far the LS1/T56 is bolt in, and fits fine with our engine mounts, oil pan, and crossmember. I'll post some pics of it later next week.

Tyler

3. RaycerX81

RaycerX81 Veteran Member

Oh please do keep us posted, because that will change over to my 81

4. Old School

Old School Veteran Member

Sounds like a nice ride!

I was planning on buying those pace headers to, but now that you mention it, the ones for the 1st gen might be an option to. I don't like how the driver side header for the 4th gen points out like it does. So I may have to give the 1st gen header a try.

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will be contacting you if you don't mind for some pointers. ;)

6. 71CamaroLS1

71CamaroLS1 New Member

Sure, I'll do my best.

7. camaro6662

camaro6662 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Could post some pics of the LS1 swap? Thanks

8. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

My '73 is currently torn apart. I haven't decided on a powerplant yet but am leaning towards a Gen III. I am a couple of months away from having to make that decision and am very interested in all of the details I find here.

9. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I'm putting an 01 6.0(LQ4) in my 81Z. I rebuilt the engine already and I'm just waiting for the mounts and flexplate spacer to come from S&P. Gaskets and bearings are not cheap. Also all the main, head and pulley bolts are one time use(TTY) so you might as well buy ARP stuff...especially the rod bolts.

I'm going to use my th350 behind and will be going with the Edelbrock carb setup as this will see dragstrip duty for now.

Eventually I'll have a t-56 and fuel injection when I can afford it. I'd like to find out if those first gen hookers fit a 2nd gen, right now I've got some old SBC headers modified with LS1 flanges that I bought off a guy who did the LS1 swap into a 2nd gen already. They are only 1 5/8 but he managed 11.40s with them.

She should be hitting the 11's this summer!

10. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

Zed - any pictures of the headers? Its one of those detaisl Id like to get out of the way before I tear my DD apart to throw in the LS1. I'd like to eliminate as many surprises as possible.