LS1 327 6 speed install questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Mrbrey1, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mrbrey1

Mrbrey1 Member

I just need to know if its a pain in the ass or not first :eek: but what is the most simple way to do so and also most inexpensive hah, im on a budget

2. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

I would do some searching on google for this setup, probably already been done. Should give you an idea as to what parts youll need. What are your expectations from the motor? Pain in the ass and budget realtive to the effort you want to put into it.

3. Mrbrey1

Mrbrey1 Member

well my dad and i are doing all the work on it and im 16 so its my one and only car haha so ill do my absolute best but i dont want to brake the bank either, i just want to get rid of the 6 banger and get my car back on the road that 229 is a peice of junk but im not looking for a bunch of speed but i want it to be able to shred some rubber haha i like torque;)

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Buy an LT1/6 speed Camaro or Firebird complete and use my thread to install. It
    is a dis-service to many with most pushing the LSx engines. The LT1 is a simple
    bolt in, its got tons of power and shreds rubber plenty fine.

LT1 Camaro vs LS1 Camaro its about 30 hp difference.;)

I was filming my wife out today burning the rubber off the 245/45R16s with the
    stock 2.41 rear gears. She was grinning ear to ear. Videos up later

Tom

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

LS1 = 346 CID .. ^ but the block is completely different with 6 bolt cross drilled crank bearings , and its all alloy .

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Does 327 ls1 means a 5.3L motor?

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

^ then i dont think its an LS1 . ...3.78 in bore blocks (1999–2007)The 4.8 L and the 5.3 L are smaller truck versions of the LS1 and were designed to replace the 305 and the 350 in trucks. Both the 4.8 L and the 5.3 L share the same engine block and heads. Although the block of the 4.8 L/5.3L looks similar to the LS1, they are not the same. but is it called the LS1 , or the vortec ?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

For a fairly cheap swap, go with a 5.3. They are cheap, and just do the bare minimum to get it running.

External fuel pump and corevette regulator will work for fuel.

F-body intake, oilpan kit, and accessories to get it to fit.

cheapest is to just use the stock manifolds to get started. Upgrade to headers later.

basic tune to remove VATS and other unused mess, cheaper than a full power tune.

mod the wire harness.

get a mount kit and install.

9. 81Z4ME

81Z4ME Veteran Member

Most people now days look down on a good 327. While it may be true that you can build a 350 for the same money the 327 still has a strong pull for some people.

We built a 327 a few years back for my son's 91 RS Camaro.

350 four bolt block, large journal 327 crank, 6" rods with the appropriate pistons/rings for the long rods and a .030" over bore, solid roller lifter cam, roller rockers, RHS pro topling heads, Edelbrock rpm manifold, and 600 cfm 4 barrel, vacuum advance distributor and Edelbrock street legal headers, TPI (larger diameter freer flowing than stock) catalytic converter and flowmaster cat back exhaust.

My son says at 50 mph on level ground in 3rd gear if he smacks the gas pedal it will break the tires loose (275/40/17's) and send the rear end of the car sideways. Oh spent a lot of money (for us) with the suspension, too (tubular control arms on the rear, new shocks/struts, new springs - can't remember the names of either but they were more than I'd spend on my own car - new polyurethane bushings front and rear, etc.) He gets 17 to 19 mpg around town and the one highway trip was either 23 or 25 mpg (I can't remember now). Would a 383 run better? Yes. But the 327 has already found some of the weak spots in the driveline. He broke yoke on the rear end which then destroyed the aluminum drive shaft. We replaced the yoke and he tore up the rear end. Hopefully now he's gotten some/most of that out of his system and he's just driving it for fun now. On a pretty day, when I get home from work, his RS will be gone from the carport and he's out running the little roads through the county enjoying a car that runs and handles much better than most of the 3rd gen camaros out there. Now, if he'd stop spending money on that big truck and get his car painted......

Whatever you build, buy good parts, put it together right (get help if you need it), make sure the parts complement each other (for example, don't buy a cam too big for the heads) and have fun building and driving it.

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3 things.....

LS1's are not 327ci
    Vortec 5.3L's are not LS1's.
    This tells us nothing about what your skill set is to know if it's a pain in the ass.
    To a newbie ?? No, it's not as simple as eating Cheerios

This tells us nothing about what your budget is.
    $10.....$200.....etc

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012