LS1 327 6 speed install questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Mrbrey1, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Black&White

Black&White New Member

OP, if you haven't found it yet, the LS1tech.com conversions/hybrids forum will be your best friend for this information. You can do it for cheap, many have, just have to find the right deals.

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Impala SS LT1 is 265 hp and makes its power lower with the cam spec, along
    with the lessor top end I am sure a warmed over 5.3 feels faster.

Tom

3. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

yeah i was baiting you there. sorry.

the only "warming over" my 5.3 has is a car intake for hood clearance and some cheap ebay headers. either way i have a big smile on my face when i put the loud pedal to the floor.

nobody is saying the LT1 is bad. they're stout engines with good potential. however, the limited production window and lack of support are just going to make things harder to get.

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

There are parts out there, but they respond to the same mods that others do,
    quite a few guys port them, making more power. For less headache the LT1 is
    the safe bet IMO. Reading the LSx oil pan woes on here I LOVE how the LT1 fit
    in the 2nd gen bay. It looks like it was made for it. For those with money to
    burn the LSx engine will make a faster car stock to stock, but the LT1 will leave
    money left over to mod - rather than sinking close to $500 bucks on an oil pan.

Heck, I think if you search hard enough you might find a running LT1 for $500!

As for grinning ear to ear .. check out my start up and drive videos, though
    you cant see her behind the wheel, that smile lasted hours! She misses her
    '95 Camaro Z28, yet her daily driver is a '99 Camaro SS. The LT1 sounds like
    a Chevy engine. The LSx engines apparently use a Ford firing order? Whatever
    the reason, her '99 just doesnt sound as good as her '95 did, and we are even
    running the same rear exhaust salvaged from the '95 after the accident.

Tom

5. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The LSx firing order is the same as they used on the 351C back in the day (my wife has a 73 Mustang 351C 2 bbl she has owned since high school in 1978) and if you look at the firing order, it is the same.
    It was a good idea then as now, why GM did not adopt it back then, is beyond me. The 351C is silky smooth, as the LSx is now. It allows for a smoother transistion between piston strokes, and contributes to less stress on the bearings.

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fixed it for the others who are looking for facts. :)

Using the right mounts out of the many options there are no pan issues with either engine.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Maybe its the smoothness that makes it sound odd. Sometimes flaws are good?

I wonder if that less stress will equate to longer engine life? If I use my two LT1
    powered commuters as 'benchmark', my 2004 GTO had better make 300k without
    the heads being off the engine, max of 2 sets of valve seals, and a front seal.

So far its been driven WAY nicer than my '93 Camaro Z28 my friend in Kansas is
    now driving .. turned over to him with 265,000 miles last year....:bowtie:

Tom

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I guess so, not having first hand experience with putting an LSx motor in I can
    only go by what I have been reading recently - which seems to be heartache
    and headache. Having the pan sit over an inch lower than the crossmember is
    simply not wise - its asking for trouble. It seems the only direct fit is the F-body
    pan, but those will dry up eventually - they havent made an LS powered Camaro
    or Firebird since 2002 (a decade ago). Unless the 5th Gen works? I have read
    about fitment issues with the F-body pan also? Is this with special mounts??

As for the LT1 .. I took off the 4th Gen mounts and bolted the 305 mounts on.

Done.

Tom

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just stick to the LT1 info, we'll help the LSx guys. :bowtie:

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do those figures include the purchase of a trans like a T56? They aren't uber-cheap even in used form, unless you buy one that needs a complete rebuild.