ls1 engine swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 78rallysport, May 5, 2009.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

I did the middle of the road swap..LT1 T56. No custom mounts, no custom oil pan, no custom exhaust, modded factory 4th gen wiring, even found a bolt in driveshaft. Parted out a wrecked 93 z28 and the swap ended up costing me about $500 for misc parts, the actual engine/trans/radiator/fans/wiring/ECM was all free after parting out the car. Gets over 20mpg and the starts/runs flawlessly. It does not have the power making potential of an LSx engine but I built it to be a reliable drive anywhere car and ultimate HP was not the goal. I am now in the middle of doing a 70 chevelle with an LT1 4l60E, another very low buck spent project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like this project...alot!:cool:

3. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's the route I went with my car, although it's an LT1 instead of an LS1. I found a running '95 Formula and stripped it of everything I wanted sold the rest an actually ended up making money at the end. I ended up with an all forged 383 with aluminum heads and fuel injection for nothing.

If you take your time and find the best deals and do a lot of the work yourself (including teardown of old vehicle and listing and selling parts) you CAN do it on a budget. If you want to start with all new parts and never really get greasy in the process it WILL cost you more money.

If I had more money at the time or found a similar deal on an LS1 car (I only paid $1250 for the Formula) I definitely would've gone the LS1 route. I don't think you can beat the power and driveability of the LS platform.

[​IMG]

My .02

Bryan

Last edited: May 12, 2009