LS1 Fuel Pump in 79 Z/28 ?? Possible

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by npersha, Mar 17, 2011.

1. npersha

npersha New Member

I am in process of doing an LSx swap into my 79 Camaro.

Can I use the factory 98 Z28 LS1 fuel pump module for my swap? Has anybody done it, is it the same height as our stock fuel tanks are? I have seen the conversion pieces needed to weld the tank to fit the LS fuel pump module to the fuel tank, and I am not worried about the welding part, I just want to know if it is the same height or compatible height distance for the stock fuel tank. I would gladly buy a Spectra Tank if one was available with no modifications needed to fit.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

not sure on the camaro tank, yet anyway(havent done efi converion on my 81). But I just took a 2000 silverado pump module into my 77 gmc gastank soo I wouldnt think it would be too bad, especially since most newer pumps have a little give in them for height

3. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I am going to try this in a few weeks. I ran across the info over on LS1tech..

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conve...ctra-efi-gas-tank-yay-nay-9.html#post14610607

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/shonuff/Fuelpumpassembly.jpg

basically, vetteworks online, sells an adapter bracket to allow you to mount a 4th gen pump in any tank. I have not measured the height of the unit compared to my tank. I plan on sumping it or some other tech to get it to work. The supply lines may hit the trunk...we'll see. height of both units are real close, I plan on removing the OEM vent area on the tank and using the fuel pump vent. I also will retain my OEM float system...the newer GM one uses a different OHM signal.

good luck! I plan on posting my results when I get it done..hopefully it will help everyone who does not want to spend a fortune on a new tank...

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cat...d=216&osCsid=7be8eca284bf4e3ec519eceefadd89f1

I picked up a complete 4th gen pump from ebay for ~$50 shipped. (from fparts, real nice LSx dismantler near philly PA). They are the same place my LS1 came from. I contacted them prior to buying..they threw in the electrical connectors!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. npersha

npersha New Member

I am aware of the Vetteworks kit, and that is a slick piece of engineering. I was wondering if anybody knows if the pump depth on the 4th gen and the tank height on my 79 Z28 is the same or close. Thanks again.

5. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This still won't work. I spent some time tonight looking at the tank.

The 2nd gen tank is defective by design for EFI applications and here is why.

-- Joe

Attached Files:

6. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I put a 2005 Ford van pump assembly in mine because it had a 3/8" pickup tube, had to shorten it 1/2" and it's working great. Also, I ran it almost empty yesterday (by accident, got to pay attention), but have never had any pick-up issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that is pretty good stuff. I'm currently in the process of replacing my POS walbro pump AND redoing my intank pump set up....I like the mounting ring....but would still intall a "tray" baffle...in the tank/around the pump to prevent cavitation. :) 1 ?...where is the pressure regulated....on the rail or in the pump unit?

8. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I added some home made baffle on 2 sides of the pump. The Corvette filter is also a regulator, that's why it has the return to tank line. I got the pump assembly off eBay for $20, filter also.

9. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

Weird. Mine has been working for years.

10. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The problem is when you have around an 1/8 of a tank, and you take a hard corner, or go up REALLY big hill.

-- Joe