LS1 Fuel Pump in 79 Z/28 ?? Possible

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by npersha, Mar 17, 2011.

1. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

JJ
    Good info. I believe the 4th gen f body pump unit is 11 inches ( may compress more). In the vetteworks online install page, it states "The F-Body fuel pump assembly has about 1" height adjustability". I plan on removing the vent part of the tank just like you did. It looks like a good flat (surface) mounting position and I will use the new pump vent line. Question,did you have any space issues with the new pump or fuel lines or any rubbing on trunk?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

I run my tank down to the point where the fuel needle doesn't move if I wanted it to and have never had a problem - and I drive it pretty hard. Being that needle is always moving around becaus ethe gauge is 100% unbuffered, thats pretty low. The 4th gen fuel pump assembly can also be shortened substantially by cutting the bucket down in height. You have to remember that at all times that bucket is full of fuel. It works well.

3. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm obviously missing something about this bucket...

Is the strainer completly enclosed IN the bucket? I have a handfull of vortec, dodge, etc and the strainer on all of them is outside the bucket. Got a picture?

-- Joe

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In this picture you can see the pickup sock under the bucket. This is how GM is doing all the OEM stuff now

[​IMG]

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]
    5th gen

6. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK.....you have definately explained why i'm confused! :confused: I just don't get it!

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

ok..let me try...you turn the key, fuel pump starts up. It sucks fuel through the sock, the fuel is pressurized as it goes up and out of the tank...excess fuel, from the regulator, returns to the fuel pump bucket. keep in mind, this fuel has already been 'filtered' through the initial sock, so it does not need to be re-filtered. The return fuel DOES not go back in with the 'un-filtered' fuel. The fuel in the fuel bucket gets used up prior to new 'un-filtered' fuel being sucked up. This fuel bucket will hold enough fuel to run your engine without burning up the pump. I suppose if you were cornering for an extremely long time...like in a circle, you'd run out of fuel. This explanation is in simple terms...I have read that the fuel pump has a complex system of 'check balls' to help it not suck air in the tank. If the pump senses any air being sucked in, it closes up, as soon as fuel sloshes back, the check valve opens back up and continues to pump fuel. This process continues over and over. Ideally, the bucket is always full. Many people..much smarter than me, have stated that they have never opened an OEM fuel tank to find a complex system of baffles...just this 'fuel bucket'. I am glad I discovered this prior to buying the tanks inc kit..I think this system is simple and should work well.

so...are you more confused??? hopefully not.. I am tied up for the next 3 weekends (UGH). I will be doing this real soon and hopefully positive results will prevail...