LS1 Fuel Pump in 79 Z/28 ?? Possible

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by npersha, Mar 17, 2011.

1. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check Ebay or a dealer, I know you can find them in the junk yards

2. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

FYI, for you guys that want to change the pump inside the assembly, TRE performance now has a knockoff walbro pump with the correct venturi hose and fitting. Part # is TRE-344, and it's about half the price of the racetronix F99 pump. It's around 234lph, which should still be 500hp capable on a naturally aspirated motor. I figure about 50-55 gallons per hour between 50-58psi depending on how you regulate it.

-- Joe

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

awaken from the dead....whhaaaaahhhhaaaa

ok finally almost ready to maybe start getting started on this....lol
    Yeah very decisive...

after looking at the "diverter pipe" output hose per the diagram does anyone know HOW/WHAT this is doing? I realize it is pressurizing the "jet pump" which is also closing the primary umbrella seal to the fuel TANK.

Actually..better question... How does this fuel pump differ from one WITHOUT said venturi tube?

4. Fbird

sh*t...found MY answer...thought I would share it ;)
    Why a universal pump can not be properly used in the 1999-2002 f-body:

The 1999 & up LS1 F-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket. The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization checkvalve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization checkvalve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket. The venturi system's inlet is a combination checkvalve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system. This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the checkvalve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty. A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The 99+ F-LS1 cars with plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves motor crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).

from racetronics.

5. Fbird

Damn....learning all kinds of things this morning. This would explain why I've had 3 walbro pumps go bad with only 40 hrs run time (in my life that takes about 3 yrs to get that much BIRD time) TOTAL.

6. Fbird

last one seriously....since the venturi feed tube from the pump is "pressurized fuel" couldn't you just TEE off the output line between the pump and "top of module" to feed the "jet pump"?

7. Fbird

After some research I pose 1 question regarding these "late model" modules. What is the advantage (if any) of the "venturi affect" (f-body) style of module as compared to simpler bucket?

[​IMG]
    F-body venturi type ^^^^^
    vs
    [​IMG]

Chevy truck NO venturi fill very simple ^^^^

They BOTH accomplish solve the BAFFLE problem. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. z28_79

z28_79 New Member

Vette works has a new kit coming out utilizing the Gen v Camaro pump.
    Only needs 6" of of depth

9. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Trucks don't do a g on the skid plate...

-- Joe

10. ryeguy2006a

ryeguy2006a Veteran Member

How did you mount the gauge cluster? Did you use the 4th gen dash?