LS1 Fuel Pump in 79 Z/28 ?? Possible

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by npersha, Mar 17, 2011.

1. 1977nova

1977nova Member

I was also curious about the ls1 pump with the vetteworks kit hitting the floor?

If it does hit, how much would I have to lower the tank to make it fit?

2. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Guys....I just completed the ls1 fuel bucket in a recessed tank...no trunk mods..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the vetteworks kit, it is recessed about 1.5", no mods to fuel bucket except I shortened the internal fuel hose ( hose #10 in previous page drawing). I compressed the bucket as far as i could, as I played with compressing it...I realized the fuel hose kinked, so I shortened it. I bought a used fbody pump bucket...but wanted to put a new replacement pump in for piece of mind. Fuel bucket is real simple to take apart. I wanted to physically shorten it but I could not figure out an easy way. Some have talked about cutting the metal tubes and reflareing them.

I started with a new tank and after the recess was welded in, I used a gas tank sealer product from KBS. Nice product. I was sure to coat the welds by rotating it completely. I am using the OEM fuel sender only because I do not want to buy a new autometer cobalt guage....mine is specific for 0-90ohms. I did have to bend the sender counterclockwise a bit to clear bucket. I thought I'd be ok without doing it....but I was wrong. I had to re-drop the tank and adjust it. While it was down, I inspected the bucket. Works like it should. It was partially filled with fuel...just like it supposed to.

End result....quiet...and I have put almost 300 miles on it without any issues.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  3. ryeguy2006a

ryeguy2006a Veteran Member

Looks great Leon!

4. mtrhead79

mtrhead79 New Member

5. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

At $500+ or so after shipping, there are cheaper options out there. But that's not too bad.