LS1 install progress

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 1st and goal, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow.......sounds so familiar.

I have felt your pain my friend....yes yes....I have.

2. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Wow, that sucks. Almost 8 months ago it sounded like it would be running really soon....

What kind of problems did you have? (more curious to car related, but if you feel the need to vent...)

3. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

I think I detailed most of the car related issues at some point in this thread.

The fuel pressue regulator was inconsistently regulating pressure, three injectors were clogged, one coil bad, battery imploded and took out my new alternator, starter...

My mechanic is closing his shop and is now an instructor at a university teaching technicians so he's been at training and then one guy quit so he had to start a month early.

We had an agreement and he's been using the car as a fill in project...at one point I told him I was out of money and the car was on hold, when I finally got up some cash he was booked out almost two months and that's about when the above crap started to go wrong so every time he worked on it or tried to finish the tuning something would break and piss him off and it wasn't just the car. One day he was doing some tuning on they dyno when he lost three phase power to the compressor and dyno.....it just went on and on.

My house is sold and the place I was going to buy fell through on the home inspection (needed 15K of repairs, plus I wanted them to fix the septic $1200 plus do some electrical stuff), they came back and said the'd fix the sepctic, do a third of the electrical stuff and give me $5K towards repairs, well the big GYI came out and now we're on the prowl but now I've only got six weeks before we close on my place and I'm homeless.....the place I was going to buy didn't have a garage so I worked out a deal (deal was that I told him to drive it and enjoy it and beat the hell out of it...basically shake it down real good) and my mechanic was going to store the thing for me for free as I had no place to put it. I haven't talked to him in weeks so I have no idea what's going on.

I have a 15 year old who I almost adopted back in the day but his mother was (well, let's not go there)....anyway I still see him on a regular basis and do things with him that I know he's never do without me (car shows, usually we go to the dragway every Wednesday we can, movies, play pool etc..) and he's now got some serious health issues so combine that and the house thing the car is the furthest thing from my mind right now.

I know some of you guys have been following the project and I just through I'd post a lil blurp so you weren't expecting to see it anytime soon.

Uncle Marc

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  4. 1st and goal

On a positive note.....
    my boy is doing well post surgery :)

and my Z has been spotted prowling the streets or Rhode Island :bowtie:

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Woot! Good to hear all that good news.

6. Aceshigh

In the words of the great Bill and Ted.....

EXCELLENT

[​IMG]

7. 70bowtie

70bowtie New Member

Marc, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. At least your car is not in pieces. Mine isn't even painted.
    Still haven't had any luck getting headers yet. Maybe I will just modify my cross member to make my 06 vette manifolds fit. What are your thoughts?
    Pete

8. 1st and goal

Thanks guys.

Didn't mean to turn this into a medical post.

He's doing well but still has about a month to go in the hospital and still has a long road ahead. He is in good spirits and we're optimistic about the future.

Uncle Pete ;)
    I'd say it depends on how much surgery you have to do to make them fit and how many mods you have. If it's a stock motor and the mods are minimal then I'd say go for it but I've only got a basic LS1 from a 98 Z w/ cam and LS6 intake and my mechanic said he had to pull alot of fuel out on the tune due to the stock exhaust manifolds

Aces - that movie was a classic :D
    I liked Nepolean's water slide strategy.

Marc

9. 78CAMAROINSC

78CAMAROINSC Veteran Member

My car is up on blocks, no shifter, mismatched interior, primer gray, eninge took apart in the engine compartment. Needs bodywork, paint, alot of work. I need the money to do everything once I get back to the states. It has unfortunately been on blocks for about 4 years now. I just sit here and thought about that. I didn't realize it had been that long. That really sucks.

10. Aceshigh

My car sat in storage from 1997 to 2002 before I touched it. ;)
    I gutted the wiring COMPLETELY , so you're not alone. I know the feeling.