LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Heres a picture of my access/clearance hole cut in my trunk. I'm going to weld a lip on it as well as weld metal to the sides of it so it sits flush, probably going to get a piece of rubber and put it around the cut edge in the trunk and use it to seal the hole as I bolt the plate on with hinges at the top so it just swings open. Going to eventually put carpet in my trunk for a cleaner look:
    [​IMG]

Heres what the fuel pump looks like, it has a bucket for fuel to be stored in case I take a sharp turn or something that would slosh the fuel from one side or the other:
    [​IMG]

2. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

Those aren't the same headers you started with are they? About to pull the pin on a 6.0 I came across for $2k complete. My sbc is losing oil pressure and has lived out it's useful life to me I think....lol nice build man!

3. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I wish! If I could turn cheap headers into expensive equal length stainless headers I'd make a fortune reselling for profit haha. After debating for a long time I decided that instead of having to take a rosebud to Pacesetter headers to bend them in the proper direction, I pulled the trigger and bought a set of nice expensive headers that were almost a direct drop in.

I'd definitely do the swap for the 6L, it'll be worth it in the end. I've come across a lot of frustrations with this build and a lot of things I've needed to do that I had no idea that I'd have to do going into it but I can't wait until its done. I had that SBC 406 in the car before and there was always something going wrong that would require me bringing the car back in the garage and figuring out whats wrong; it just became unreliable, which is why I started this LS swap.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Great thread here brother. I got a 72 Aswell and plan on dropping in a 5.3 block I picked up. I appreciate the post I learned a few things and tips. I currently have my ac system installed still I will remove it now and put a plate over it for time being now that I see it is not going to clear with the factory ac system in there.

5. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Thank you, its definitely been a time consuming process. One thing about the headers, I only had to remove the AC because of the Kook's Headers and how the number 4 exhaust travels across the others on the same plane then down in the back. If you're using a different type of header I don't believe you'll have to remove the AC unit.

I wasn't too hesitant about removing mine anyways; it had never ran as long as the car had been in my family and I'm sure it needed lots of love to make it work, so I just yanked it and decided on the vintage air system.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

I see mine hasn't worked since I got it either. Good to know though. Thanks

7. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Coming along great man......I finally got mine fired, now just a few little nickle and dime things to do before taking to the tuner. Keep at it you will get there.

8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I'm pretty close, as long as everything goes good, I see the end in sight. The car has been on stands in the garage for too long haha, can't wait for it to sit under its on strength again.

9. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I have a long overdue update for you all. I haven't been able to do that much on it over the last month due to starting my seasonal job a month early due to the hot conditions, but I've done a little bit. I ordered my gauges and bezel and have them all mocked up along with a painless gauge harness to simplify things. I'm going to get the bezel powder-coated here shortly as well as my valve covers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on upgrading my entire chassis harness as well since its now roughly 40 years old and I'm going to be pumping more juice at it with the LS Alternator. I was looking at the AAW Classic Upgrade Kit for the 70-73 Camaro since it is all encompassing including the new sockets for all the lights, blinkers, etc. Does anyone know if this harness is easily modifiable to work with the LS and the LS Engine harness and my aftermarket gauges?

http://www.americanautowire.com/view-product/1970-1973-chevrolet-camaro/

10. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

How close are you to firing it up? This has been a long LS swap...this thread is approaching the 1 yr mark.