LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I'm not sure, every step I go I find more things that I dont necessarily have to replace or redo, but I do anyways because I want it to be modern/reliable. I was messing with the wiring yesterday when I decided that I'm just going to go ahead and upgrade the entire wiring for the car bumper to bumper instead of replacing as I go along. When its done, pretty much everything in that car will have been replaced or upgraded at some point within the last 5'ish years.

That and I'm a seasonal firefighter so when I'm working during the summer I usually don't have many days off to work on it, and I'm going to school full time in the winter. Most of the expensive things I've been meaning to buy for the car, I've put off buying until either right before I started work this summer or right after I started working, so I didn't drain my bank account with no real income.

Its not far from firing, just a lot of little things that need to be patched up or completed now.

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

As it tends to do, life has gotten in the way of my project. Ive been extremely busy and haven't had much time at all to work on it. I've been able to do a little here and there but nothing extreme. I've managed to get the seats, carpet, dash, and all the electrical removed to make room for the new chasis harness I have. I'm also removing the factory insulation/tar paper and am going to por15 the entire lower part of the cab from front riser to the top of the rear seats. I have to say, scraping all this stuff is very tedious. The stuff refuses to come loose in places and its just hours of scraping and scraping. I have almost all of it removed and am just working on touch up spots right now.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a layer of reflectex for heat followed by some dynamat, or similar matting. Does anyone else have any better suggestions than that? I don't know much about vehicle insulation :(

I'm also going to replace my dash while I'm at it. My current one is folding from sun exposure and has come broken plastic clips on it. In addition to the dash, I've decided to scalp the stereo system I put in my 1984 F-250 and put it in my Camaro; its just an amp and a 10' subwoofer. Might as well get that all wired up while I have the wiring channels by the door exposed. And yes, a simple engine swap has turned into a bumper to bumper restoration, I have grandiose plans for this thing!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Any new updates?

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Not as many as I'd hope. I was able to get my gauge bezel powder-coated though. I also had to "adjust" part of my floor pan to fit the flange at the headers. I've had a lot of personal stuff go on since my last update post. Sadly my project is waiting for me in the garage and I just haven't been able to focus or devote the time to it. I'm hoping after some stuff is cleared up this summer I will be able to get back at it. Sorry for the long lengths in between posts.

5. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Take care of your self first. The car ain't going anywhere

6. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Little update I guess. I still have the car and all the parts, whenever I get the change I do a little more to it, nothing monumental though; I just haven't had the time. I did however get a hold of the entire intact interior from a '99 Trans Am WS6 for nothing so I'm going to see what I can do. I know for sure I'm using the seats front and back but I might try and modify the center console as well as try to fabricate my own door panels using the arm rests and speaker pods from the WS6.

I thought about using the dash too but I think it'll be a little too much work than what I'm looking to do.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  7. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Front seats can be modified to work. I put the second gen mounts onto the fourth gen seat. I removed the power set motors..

Rears are too narrow to look right in a second gen..in my opinion. I tried and didn't like the gap. Good luck!

8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I am sorry for the long periods of time between posts. I've been bouncing between jobs among other stuff. I have been doing little things here and there but the car hs been collecting dust for too long.

I'm trying to tackle some wiring issues I've had in the back of my mind and I recently came upon something that is really odd. My harness that I sent in to Speartech a while back was from a Corvette with a manual transmission; they converted it to work with a 4L80e. I recently had an idea to check out what was necessary to hook up the park/neutral safety switch, pin 34 to my harness. While looking at the harness, I noticed that there was nothing pinned in 34, okay maybe thats because it was originally a manual harness so I checked pin 32, the clutch override switch for starting...it too was empty. So I am genuinely confused on what I need to do; without the NSS the engine won't know when the vehicle is in park or neutral and it will be able to start at anytime.

I am also using an AAW full harness for the rest of the vehicle; however I don't know how to go about hooking the NSS up or what I should do. The 4L80e has a NSS on it that could be used, but also my original Horseshoe shifter has it as well. Do I need to pin the harness for that port or was there method to the madness of not having 32, the clutch pin, or 34, the NSS, being there?

I have been scratching my head at this for the past couple days and I think I may be overthinking it, but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Edit: Is there a way I can hook a relay inbetween the small post starter wire and my NSS on my horseshoe shifter and bypass the need for the PCU to read that?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Andrew, it's been a while since I got my harness from PSI, but I'm 99% sure the Pins are not in mine for neutral start switch. The reason is because it's a stand alone engine harness. Your factory camaro wiring should run the safety of power going from your ignition switch to the starter. Those wires are not meant to nor should interface with the engine harness. Other than 12v switch power to turn the ECM on, it's independant from the vehicle wiring.

On the stock harness there are 2 thick purple wires that connect to the shifter, Column or pedal depending on the set up. In the neutral position or clutch depressed, the circuit is closed allowing power to route back to the ignition switch creating the starting sequence (rotating the starter)

10. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

That makes sense now, I guess it had been so long since I've touched anything with this car that it slipped my mind. I made myself very confused haha. Thanks