LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Make sure you replace that blue o-ring on the oil pump pickup tube when you put it back together - do NOT reuse that... I have seen many people try to reuse an old one and end up with low oil pressure because it will leak by.

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Sorry for the lengthy delay in responding, most of my time has been taken up by working (trying to rack up as much overtime as I can to pay for this swap!).
    I'm really happy I got the engine. I have it sitting on an engine stand as the showcase of the garage. I never ran the Camaro and the old engine at the track, wanted to make sure everything was perfect before I took it there but never got the chance.

3. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

It sure looks like you got a very nice and complete LS1 engine. Couple things caught my eye:
    1. Hopefully your A/C won't get in the way of your LS1.
    2. I suspect the Vette's "Butterfly" oil pan won't fit. I recommend the Caddy CTS-V pan (and not the new Holley pan which I tried.) A complete CTS-V oil pan, slosh plate, feed tube, dipstick tube and dipstick is about $240 from a cooperative dealer.
    3. I too recommend the TCI flexplate which is very sturdy compared to the very flimsy OEM plate. But if you need to save money, I have an OEM one; its yours just a shipping charge.

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

5. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I was able to get a new F-body oil pan assembly, the baffle, gasket, bolts, feeder tube, dipstick, dipstick tube, etc for under $300 from the local GM Dealership. It arrives either Tuesday morning. I'll post pictures of it when it comes!

6. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

My new toy arrived today! The oil pan, the gaskets, all the bolts, the feeder tube, the baffle, the dipstick and the dipstick tube!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Looking good!!

8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Thanks! The pan looks like it will fit perfectly and wasn't that expensive. I have to start looking for an accessory drive for the engine now. I was looking at the kit GMPP sells: 19155067 which says it will work for an LS1 engine as well but I'm not sure if the PS reservoir will clear the DBW solenoid that sits on the drivers side of the throttle body. I realize that the AC won't fit in its original position but I was going to either fabricate my own bracket or get the Kwik performance AC re-locator bracket.

9. Burt

Burt Veteran Member

Good questions. Someone here must have experience with these things. The GM Accessory Drive Kit looks like a good idea, even if you have to re-locate the A/C.

I wonder if the Kwik brackets will work/align with the other GM brackets?

Keep up the Good Work,

Jim

10. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

My son installed a LS1 motor from a 2002 Camaro in his '79 El Camino. He used the Kwik bracket for his compressor and it lined up perfectly.